Chapter 21 - Confidant

A/N: I attempted to write a How To Train Your Dragon fanfic many years ago, and I managed to reach about two hundred words before I ran out of ideas. So, I suppose this story is an improvement. Also, this is totally random, but I love reading people's Beta profiles. I just find them interesting for some reason. I applaud those who are willing to help struggling writers. (I'm personally too controlling to have a Beta reader, but I respect their work ethic nonetheless.)

I was adding some plot lines to this story's outline the other day, and I realized it will end up having a lot more chapters than I originally intended. Young Hiccup's life (meaning pre-adulthood) could be considered the first arc, I guess. I can't really say more than that because I refuse to spoil future plots. I like to keep all of you on the edge of your seats ;) So I hope you like this story, because I'm just getting started, folks!

gajeel-of-iron and AdamantJackal — Lol, sorry about the cliffhanger. I hate writing them as much as you hate reading them, but I was too tired at that point to write more, and I wanted to post the chapter as soon as possible to get rid of the horrible number 19 ;))

P.S. —To those of you who have made suggestions in reviews, thank you! I may have an outline written, but the plot is malleable for the most part, and I find your ideas incredibly helpful and interesting!

P.S.S. —Sorry for the long author's note.

Disclaimer: I'm still not sure if a disclaimer is required, but everyone else does it. \_('-')_/ I don't own HTTYD.

HICCUP'S POV

"Crap..." I muttered.

Camicazi whirled around, automatically taking a step back so she was directly beside me. Her breathing had picked up as she searched for the source of the growl, and her gaze flickered over to her sword multiple times. She was obviously regretting her decision to throw it out of reach now. I quickly placed the Tiny-wing back on the ground behind us, taking care not to jostle her injured limb. I definitely wanted two hands for whatever came next. The small dragon grumbled in protest.

*I'm sorry. I just have to deal with something really quick.* I apologized, scratching under her chin before standing back up. Cami was clenching and unclenching her fists as she stared into the trees, but I could sense her fear.

"Hiccup, you make a run for it," she whispered without looking my way. "Get help. I'll hold it off," she declared. I raised an eyebrow at her words, impressed by her courage. She was willing to risk her life to save mine. Of course, I was at no risk at all, but she didn't know that. My mother had told me plenty about the bravery of vikings, but seeing it firsthand was something else.

I placed a hand on her shoulder, causing her to flinch out of her frozen state and look at me with wide eyes. "He won't hurt you," I promised, putting every ounce of sincerity into my voice as possible. She blinked a few times as she processed what I had said, then an expression of disbelief crossed her face.

"He?" She repeated loudly, and I gave her a sheepish smile in return.

"Toothless!" I called, looking over to where he was hiding in the canopy. While Cami had yet to see him, I'd spotted him instantly. Hide and seek was one of our favorite games.

Immediately, he leapt from the branch he'd been resting on, extending his wings to glide to where we were standing. Camicazi gasped and stumbled backwards, actually falling in the process. I suppose I could understand her reaction. To the outside eye, he looked like a lethal predator swooping in for the kill. The Tiny-wing looked unsettled, which is what I'd expected. Dragons are territorial, and most wouldn't hesitate to kill a Tiny-wing in their path if they considered it an intruder.