Chapter 26 - A Year In The Life Pt 2

A/N: I am not writing this story in a conventional manner at all. What I planned to be a single chapter originally has now turned into three parts because I can't write enough at once. Here's the second part. I won't even speculate when the third will be posted because apparently I SUCK AT THIS.

P.S.—Does anyone even remember what the story is about at this point?

Disclaimer: I've grown older and wiser in the months past, and I can positively say, HA HA. NOPE. NOT MINE.

MONTH 7

HICCUP'S POV

*Okay, bud. You're up.* I said a little too cheerfully, trying unsuccessfully to hide my amused grin.

Toothless sent me his best death glare, although to me it was more of a cute pout. His ears were flat against his head, his pupils were slitted, and his eyelids were halfway lowered, but still—cute as a bunny. That thought had me covering my mouth to stifle any sound and Toothless huffing his displeasure at our situation.

*I think you're enjoying this a little too much.* He grumbled, peeking over the rock we were crouched behind in an attempt to spot any Scale-shifters. I don't know why he bothered. They spent most of their time camouflaged, regardless of if they were aware of any present danger. Toothless would have more luck finding them by sound. Following his nose would be useless since the entire island would reek of Scale-shifter scent.

*I'm only enjoying it because I know you'll be fine. Your scales protect you from the acid.* I pointed out, glancing down at my vulnerable skin with disdain. If only I had scales of my own. My armor was good, but not impenetrable. Better to let Toothless handle this one, just in case.

*They still have teeth and claws.* He retorted, his ears flying up at the end of his statement as he heard signs of movement that my human ears couldn't pick up. I stilled, waiting for a signal. After a few silent moments, his tail curled around to lightly touch my shoulder, telling me without words to wait here. I nodded minutely, hunkering down even further.

Toothless leapt over the rock gracefully, disappearing from my sight. It wasn't until I started to squirm with the task of remaining in place that the snarls broke out. As much as my instincts screamed at me to get up and see what was happening, I had to stay hidden. I would only become a liability if the Scale-shifters noticed me.

I took comfort in the fact that while furious screeching filled my ears, there were no sounds of pain coming from Toothless. He would probably brag later about how he took on an entire pack of Scale-shifters by himself. Shimmer especially loved his tall tales. His ego always got an unhealthy boost from her awestruck expressions. If only she were here to witness what was probably just Toothless dodging around, trying his best not to get covered in the green acid.

Anytime now, bud, I thought impatiently, glancing up at the sky to check the sun's position. My mom would worry if we weren't back home by nightfall. I promised her we wouldn't be late for dinner.

As if Toothless heard me say the words aloud, the angry growls and rough scuffling started to fade as he led the Scale-shifters on a wild chase in the opposite direction. I breathed out a sigh of relief, standing and hopping over the rock, making sure to watch my footing. The last thing I wanted was to step in the acid and ruin a perfectly good pair of boots.

My hands scrambled to take out the small, empty jars I'd brought along. I needed to hurry and collect the acid before the Scale-shifters returned. Luckily for me, there was no shortage of the bright green substance. There was no doubt I wouldn't have fared well in Toothless' place.