Chapter 9 - Up The Creek

A/N: Okay, so...this chapter was not supposed to happen. At all. But the idea just kind of popped into my mind at the last second and here we are. Enjoy :)

Disclaimer: How many times must I repeat myself? I don't own HTTYD!

VALKA'S POV

"I'm okay."

*You're not okay!*

"Cloudjumper, honestly, it's not that bad!" I reiterated with an exasperated huff, then immediately winced as a hot flash of pain shot through my torso. I pressed the cloth harder against my side, hoping the bleeding had at least slowed. When I glanced down, the once white material was stained bright red. Just great.

Cloud's chest rumbled with anger at my denial, and he beat his wings even harder, flying as fast as he could towards the nest. The adrenaline running through my body was the only reason I was still awake and able to hold on. This was one of the few times I wished my dragon wore a saddle. Over the years, I'd perfected my ability to stay balanced on his back without one, and he preferred it that way as well. Now, though, I was clinging to him for dear life.

I looked over my shoulder at the small group of dragons that was struggling to keep up with Cloudjumper's pace. Most of the ones we rescue choose to come back to the nest, and these were no different. As much as my side hurt, seeing the dragons alive and well dulled the pain a bit. Their safety made it all worth it. I might've gotten a small wound, but they would've been killed if I hadn't stepped in.

Usually, I do a lot of recon before a rescue. Alpha and some of the flock will help me with the big operations, but Cloud and I always do the smaller missions alone. It makes it a lot quicker. Sometimes I can sneak in and cut the dragons loose without any of the humans noticing. Those are the good days.

When I found the hunters' ship today, though, I didn't have time to come up with any sort of plan. They had five dragons in cages hanging over the side and were about to drop them in the ocean to drown. It was one of the most disgusting acts I've ever seen throughout the years dealing with these lowlifes.

I'd swooped down onto the deck before the leader could give the kill order, taking them by surprise. I'd wasted no time going on the attack. My father had trained me well. I could defeat any man with a sword or a staff. The only problem was that there were twenty men on the ship. I had managed to kill or knock out five of them before they recovered from their shock, but then I was suddenly up the creek without a paddle. Cloudjumper did what he could to help, but he was so large that it was difficult for him to maneuver around without accidentally sending one of the cages falling into the dark waters below. He couldn't use his fire, either, or he'd risk sinking the ship.

I'd been able to hold my own, dodging every swing and countering with precise movements, but eventually one of the men landed a blow. His sword had sliced into my side, creating a laceration that instantly started bleeding heavily. Cloudjumper had roared with fury and jumped in to deal with the man, and I'd somehow stayed focused enough to deal with the last two.

The rest seemed to happen very fast. After making sure there were no other men or dragons below deck, we'd released the caged dragons and destroyed the ship's sails. The mission was a success in my eyes. Not so much in Cloud's.

Now we were racing back to the nest so I could properly treat my wound. I needed Hiccup to help me stitch it up. For his sixth birthday, he'd asked me to teach him to sew. It wasn't exactly what I'd been expecting. None of the boys on Berk ever learned to sew, much less wanted to. But apparently after watching me make his clothes all these years, he decided he wanted to try it himself. He was always coming up with designs for all sorts of things. His unique birthday request was probably going to be what saved my life.