Chapter 29 - The Call

A/N: Okay, you all might hate this chapter or think it's boring, but I don't even care because I had SO MUCH FUN writing it. I've been waiting for this since the very beginning. So, like, a freaking year. Cheers! *clink*

Reader2 - What can I say, I'm a sucker for the classics. ;))

CHSHiccstrid - Perks of an AU story! I can bend everyone's life story to my will. MUAHAHAHA!

Disclaimer: Forgot to do this last chapter, so I'm doing double. I don't own it. I really don't own it.

HICCUP'S POV

"What's it like being raised in a dragon nest?" Heather asked, breaking the calm silence that had enveloped us for a few minutes. I was still tired and knew I should be using this time to rest, but I wasn't quite ready to fall asleep in the same vicinity as someone I'd just met. Toothless clearly felt the same way; his eyes were closed, but I could tell he was still antsy from being around an unfamiliar human. Part of me wanted to put out the fire since he and I both were more comfortable in darkness, but I didn't want Heather to be cold. She couldn't use Windshear's internal heat like I could with Toothless. Sharp-scales weren't exactly great for cuddling, not unless you wanted to risk losing a finger or two while you slept.

I shrugged at her question, even though she wasn't looking at me. "I don't know. It's hard to answer that when I have nothing to compare it to..." I hummed quietly, trying to imagine what it was like to grow up in a viking village. "It's safe there. We depend on each other, help each other. Alpha feeds the flock so there's never really a concern about going hungry." Out of my periphery, I noticed Heather turn her head to the side to stare at me with wide eyes, her mind clearly catching on the term "Alpha," though she didn't say anything. "I was never alone," I continued. "My mom taught me how to read and write, how to fight. Anything I needed to know to survive, really." I glanced over at Heather, impressed how neutral she kept her expression. Only her foot tapping incessantly on the ground gave away how much she was bursting with curiosity. "The dragons were just as involved in my upbringing, though, if not more. Sometimes...when I'm away from my mom for a while...I forget..."

"Forget what?" Heather demanded as politely as she could when I trailed off and got lost in my thoughts.

"How to be human, I guess," I responded, pursing my lips. It took effort to remember to speak aloud, which I mostly did for my mom's benefit. She never said it, but I knew she liked to hear my physical voice. There were also many times my instincts lined up with Toothless' rather than her own. Instead of words, I chose growls. Instead of a sword, I chose bare hands and teeth.

"I would love to live in a dragon nest," Heather sighed wistfully. "I've been to plenty of villages, but never a nest. Dragons are a lot better company than people," she said with a hint of snark. I nodded absentmindedly in agreement. She perked up and rolled over onto her stomach, glancing from the ground to Toothless then back again. "So, uh, when did you meet Toothless?" She asked, trying to sound nonchalant but failing spectacularly. I understood why she was so fascinated by him, as most humans didn't believe Night-wings were real, but it was still amusing.

"I was a baby, he was a hatchling. He knew that I was a dragon-soul; he could sense it somehow." I shrugged. I obviously had no memories that far back, but Toothless could remember every moment for the both of us. "He's been by my side ever since." I sat up and stretched out my tired limbs, then climbed onto my dragon's back to find a more comfortable position. I wouldn't be able to stay awake much longer.

"He's beautiful," Heather murmured.

I snorted at the description, lightly slapping Toothless' wing bone. *Hear that, bud? You're beautiful!* I teased, ignoring Heather's eye roll. Toothless curled his tail up and smacked the top of my head, making me yelp. "Hey!" I complained, rubbing my scalp.