Chapter 32 - Captives

HICCUP'S POV

In the moment between regaining consciousness and actually opening my eyes, I truly thought I was back in the nest. The ground beneath my fingertips was damp and cold, just like the slabs of moss-covered stone that made up the base of the mountain back home. I wanted to cling to that false reality for as long as possible, but my memories were returning to wash away any sense of peace and replace it with apprehension.

The world slowly came back into focus, and I pried my eyes open to take in my surroundings. I was lying on sea-soaked floorboards rather than smooth rock, and the crashing of waves filled my ears instead of familiar roars. Worst of all, I was alone.

I pushed myself up into a sitting position, pausing in irritated confusion when my movements were hindered. I glared downward to find the source. My leg was covered in a mixture of thick bandages and leather, arranged in such a way that it appeared as if I was wearing a giant boot. The added weight wasn't so much a problem; the awkward shape, however, made it feel like I was dragging around a Tiny-wing that refused to let go. I wrinkled my nose in distaste, clawing at the unwanted contraption with my fingernails.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," someone spoke up, causing me to reach for my dagger. Unfortunately, my hand encountered only empty space. Weaponless. Great. My gaze slid warily to the right as I readjusted to a more defensible position. Gobber was hobbling toward me, pointing his hook at my leg. "Alvis worked hard on that cast," he continued, stopping a foot away from the bars that held me prisoner. Being trapped inside a cage was certainly not the situation I wanted to wake to find myself in, but I tried not to let my anxiety show.

"Where's Toothless?" I demanded, cutting straight to the point.

"The dragon? Right where you left it, of course. Can't you hear it?" He went silent and nodded towards the ceiling. I frowned, letting some of my attention wander away from the most immediate threat in order to listen.

My heart sank when my ears registered the muffled screeching and clanking chains above us. Every few seconds there was an accompanying thump, presumably from Toothless' tail smacking against the deck as he struggled in his bonds. It was dark outside, which meant I'd been unconscious for a few hours at least; if he hadn't managed to get free yet, it likely wasn't going to happen.

I slammed my fist against the floor. "Let him go!" I shouted, partly in anger but mostly in desperation.

"Relax, laddie," Gobber said placatingly, crouching down so we were eye level. His gentle demeanor surprised me, seeing as how he and his crew had locked me in here in the first place. Usually vikings weren't kind to their prisoners. The dissonance between my captivity and his sympathetic attitude had me reeling with unease. I stared at him unabashedly, attempting to figure out what it was exactly that he wanted. Humans weren't as straightforward in nature as dragons; they had motives, plans, and goals beyond simple survival.

Gobber looked me over with his own thoughtful gaze. "I've never known a viking to care about a dragon's wellbeing," he mused.

"I'm not a viking," I objected instantly.

He raised an eyebrow. "No? Then what are you?" He wondered with sincere curiosity.

I opened my mouth to respond, then let it shut when nothing immediately came to mind. I was a dragon-soul, but that concept would probably go right over his head, and I wasn't in the mood for that conversation.

"Take me...to my dragon," I said in a low voice, emphasizing every word.

Gobber sighed as if he was truly upset about my imprisonment. "I can't do that. Stoick wants the two of you separated for now." I scoffed at the mention of my so-called father, turning to glare at the far wall. My mother had been right to leave him all those years ago. I couldn't imagine growing up under that man's thumb.