Chapter 10 - Risky Business

A/N: I detest using third person narrative, but sacrifices must be made. I hope everyone is having a wonderful week! P.S.— Writing a story is super difficult! For me, anyway...I have to use 99% of my brain capacity to come up with this stuff.

Disclaimer: I don't own HTTYD \_(._.)_/

3RD POV

Valka made her way through the icy caverns of her home, the sounds of squawks and roars fading the further she went into the dark tunnels. After seven years of living here, she could finally find her way anywhere in the nest—even with her eyes closed. It came in handy, since it was often too dark to see. Dragons had sharper senses, but her many years navigating the confusing passageways helped her along.

Her son's room was deep in the mountain, one of the safest places there was in the nest. Valka could hear the rhythmic pitter patter of water droplets hitting the cave floor along the edges. The icy ceiling allowed the morning light to shine in, illuminating the form of the Night Fury curled up on a warm slab of stone.

She cleared her throat, having not spoken for quite some time. "Toothless, darling, it's time to wake up." She called softly, her tone motherly. The black dragon's ear flaps stood erect and he lifted his head, bright green eyes open wide. His pupils were slitted, as they usually were right when waking up, but after a few sniffs he recognized and accepted her, and they widened to accommodate a friendlier expression.

Permission seemingly granted, Valka walked over to him, crouching down next to him so they were eye to eye. His unblinking gaze never left her. She reached out her hand, and after a moment he pressed his nose against her palm, purring quietly.

Valka waited patiently until Toothless' wings unfurled, revealing Hiccup's small form resting comfortably in the dragon's warm embrace. When the sudden sunlight invaded the boy's senses, he mumbled irritably, trying to hide his face. Toothless leaned down to nuzzle him affectionately, licking his temple to help wake him up.

His mother chuckled at the adorable pout he wore even in sleep. "Hiccup, it's morning. Time to get up for your lessons." Valka had collected a variety of books, and had taken it upon herself to teach Hiccup everything he would've learned on Berk. Other than the usual survival skills he needed, he was also learning to read and write.

She brushed his wild auburn locks to the side, and his eyes blinked open slowly, adjusting to the light. "Can I sleep for five more minutes?" He begged, his voice high and innocent as only a child's could be. Luckily, Valka had dealt with his wide eyed, pleading look plenty of times in the past.

"No, you need to come with me, honey. Don't you want to say good morning to Cloudjumper and Alpha?" She persuaded, knowing her son held a special fondness for the two dragons. Not nearly as much as he felt towards Toothless, but enough that his eyes lit up and he nodded.

Toothless obligingly let Hiccup clamber to his feet. He immediately tried to climb onto his dragon's back, but Valka held out her hand to stop him.

"Remember what I said, Hiccup," she implored. "You need to practice walking these tunnels yourself sometimes, too." The boy had grown up with his reptilian companion, and was used to the leisures of a piggy back ride, but it was her job to teach him how to be independent as well.

Looking sheepish, Hiccup nodded in understanding. Valka led the way out of the tunnels, with Toothless ambling along behind them. He was now full-grown, and had to walk single file in order to fit in the narrower part of the passageways.

When they finally made it outside, Cloudjumper was waiting for them, his eyes wide and welcoming. Hiccup immediately ran over to him, and Cloud lowered his head so the boy could embrace him.