Chapter 18 - Friendship Is Magic

A/N: I have a scene-by-scene outline planned all the way through chapter 25, you know, and I add new scenes and ideas all the time when they cross my mind. So even when it's taking me an eon to update, you can at least take comfort in knowing that I'm not going to stop writing until this story is completed. P.S.— How is everyone doing? It's been so long! I missed all of you! Thanks for the reviews, follows, and favorites!

Disclaimer: Do I have to do this every chapter? Eh, I'll do it anyway. I DON'T OWN HTTYD.

HICCUP'S POV

Camicazi held my hand in a vice grip as she pulled me along past dozens of tents. The contact made me uncomfortable, but I was too focused on keeping hold of the heavy axe to really try to break out of her grasp. We raised a few eyebrows as we rushed by, but I couldn't tell if it was because I was holding a large weapon or if Camicazi dragging me behind her against my will was the cause. She continuously ignored my complaints, so eventually I fell silent and tried to figure out where we were going.

It felt like we'd crossed the entire length of the island by the time we reached our apparent destination. Camicazi squealed and tugged me towards a packed gathering of humans. My eyes widened and I frantically dug my heels into the dirt to prevent going any farther.

"W-What are you doing? Where are we?" I stammered, dropping the axe and yanking my hand away from hers.

She rolled her eyes and picked up the axe herself, flipping it up to rest casually on her shoulder. It was hard to comprehend how such a small human was so strong. "See for yourself," she replied, pointing at a sign to my right. In big letters, the words "Axe-Throwing Competition: All Ages Welcome" were displayed.

I gaped. "You're kidding. This is why we stole that stupid axe?" I exclaimed, and her hand promptly slapped over my mouth to quiet me.

"Shh! Are you trying to get us in trouble?" Camicazi hissed, glancing around to make sure no one overheard. "This competition is important to me. I have a bet going with a boy from another tribe," she explained.

I shoved her hand away, taking half a step back. "Okay, well, you have fun with that. I'm gonna go." As soon as I started to turn she grabbed my elbow and gave me her best pout.

"Aw, come on! I need you there to cheer me on!" She insisted, then let go of me and shuffled her feet in embarrassment. "I don't...have anyone else..." She admitted.

"Where's your mom?" I wondered, softening my tone a bit. It was strange feeling sympathy for a human, but she brought it out in me for some reason.

Camicazi shrugged. "My guess? The tavern, probably gambling." Her tone was slightly amused, so she must not be too upset that her mother was otherwise engaged. I bit my lip, glancing past her at the tightly-packed crowd. If anything happened, at least I had my dagger. And good training involves putting myself in challenging or stressful situations...

"Alright...fine," I reluctantly agreed. "I'll stay. But you better win!" I told her, cracking a small smile.

Camicazi grinned, punching me lightly on the shoulder. "Of course I'm gonna win! I'm a Bog-Burglar! Come on." She waved for me to follow her. "Move out of the way, people! Champion coming through!" She announced, pushing everyone out of her way. There were many grunts of irritation, but we were let through a narrow gap in the crowd. I stayed close behind her, working on controlling my breathing. Every time my skin brushed against someone else's, I tensed up, but I was pleasantly surprised to find I was able to refrain from growling or reaching for my dagger.

When we finally made it into open space, I could see we were in a small clearing with three targets set up in the distance. A few people were practicing their throws already. Camicazi skipped right up to a short man that was sitting at a wooden table with a piece of paper and a pencil in front of him. He was busy writing something, so he didn't see us approach. Camicazi slammed her axe down on the table, causing the man to jump and let out a quiet squeak. As soon as he saw who it was that disturbed him, his face twisted into a scowl.