Chapter 23 - Ready, Set, Go

A/N: I feel like I could sleep for a week. Is this really my 23rd chapter? I feel like I've barely written anything. I think this will start to feel like an actual story once I reach 50 chapters. So far, it feels more like a long drabble, lol.

Disclaimer: Nothing has changed since a couple days ago, so no.

HICCUP'S POV

The ground shook beneath my feet as I stumbled over a mixture of rocks jutting out from the forest floor and tree roots that had twisted up at unnatural angles. I was running as fast as my legs could carry me, but that meant less of my attention was devoted to keeping my balance. I'd already tripped at least three times in the current sprint for my life.

I cursed as the edge of my toe once again got lodged under a particularly nasty tangle of roots and I plunged face first towards the ground. A thorny twig grazed my cheek as I fell, eliciting a pained hiss from my lips. I threw my hands out to catch myself and wasted no time clawing at the dirt to drag myself back to my feet. Just that one second was precious time wasted.

Against my better judgment, I risked a glance over my shoulder, gasping as I attempted to regain my breath. My eyes widened as the bulking form of my pursuer bore down on my position, her large feet thundering against the earth in a sound that seemed to signal my impending doom. She snorted with contempt, tossing her head with the promise that if she reached me, her horn would end up through my torso.

I ignored the burning in my lungs and resumed my frantic dash for safety. The light at the end of the forest was my beacon of hope. If I could just reach the cliff, I would be in the clear. Unfortunately, for every step I gained, the Rumblehorn on my tail gained two. She was getting closer, and I knew this chase would come down to the last inch. I just needed my savior to come through.

"Toothless!" I shouted as loudly as physically possible with the amount of air I had left to spend. I prayed to all the gods that he could hear me. I knew he was in my general vicinity. Night-wings have excellent hearing, so my call would reach him, right? Right?

"Toothless!" I called again for extra measure, my eyes beginning to water from the lack of oxygen. I could practically feel the warm breath of the Rumblehorn on my heels, but I was almost there! Just a few more steps...

When my foot hit the cliff edge, I didn't hesitate, leaping off with all my strength. A wave crashed a hundred feet below, sending sea spray directly into my face just as I felt the tip of the dragon's horn brush against my shoulder. A burst of wind hit me in the back as the Rumblehorn gave a tremendous flap of her wings to keep herself on solid ground. She roared with frustration as I escaped her grasp, while I held in a scream of my own as I plummeted downward. The ocean appeared even more foreboding than usual as I fell towards certain death at an alarming rate.

Right when I gave into the reality these were actually to be my final moments, familiar claws hooked into my furry outer vest, lifting me back into the air. My body protested at the sudden change of direction, and I grunted as my shirt dug painfully into my skin. Toothless quickly threw me up into the air, then shifted to the side so I ended up landing in the saddle. I collapsed against him without bothering to put my feet in the stirrups, heaving as I gave him a grateful pat on the neck.

*Thanks, bud.* I mumbled tiredly, squinting against the sunlight that shined in my direct line of vision.

*You really can't stay out of trouble for one second, can you?* He responded, his chest rumbling with concern.

*Occupational hazard.* I returned with a cheeky smile, sitting up so I rested on my elbows. Seeing that I was relatively unharmed, he took the prime opportunity to smack me in the face with his ear fin. I spluttered indignantly, leaning back just in case he felt the urge to hit me a second time. *What was that for?* I complained, slowly slipping my left foot into its stirrup, then the right. My whole body ached from my long sprint, and I wanted nothing more than to be curled up with Toothless on our platform in the nest—preferably with nice Toothless and not abusive Toothless.