Florida Here I Come

Chapter 1

REINA

I stare out the car window with my headphones on full blast while my mom drives. My parents are divorced so I live in Chicago with my mom while my older brother lives in Florida with our dad. My mom's a travel journalist so her job has taken her all across the world. This time she will be spending the summer in Europe and of course won't let me stay home alone. So I'm being shipped off to my dad's for the entire summer. Ever since my parents divorce my dad and I haven't really been close and it has only gotten worse since he decided to move states away. And then it made it even more worse when my brother who I was close to decided he wanted to go with him. So not only did I lose my dad but I lost my brother too in a way. It has been five years since we've all been together in the same room and the thought of it has me nervous. My headphones are pulled off of my ears.

"Rey I've been talking to you for ten minutes."

"Sorry mom but Freddie Mercury takes precedence."

She rolls her eyes and then her face gets serious.

"You know if I could take you with me I would right?"

"Yes mom you've told me a thousand times."

She gives me a small smile.

"This will be good for you you know," she nods, "and your dad."

"Yes mom you told me that a thousand times as well." I mumble.

"I know the divorce has been hard on all of us, I just want to make sure you're okay honey that's all."

"I'm good mom," I smile, "I promise."

She sighs.

"I hear your brother has a new girlfriend."

"A real shocker there." I say sarcastically.

"He is so much like your father."

"What do you mean?"

"Well your father had a whole love triangle going back when we were in high school."

"Yes mom but you obviously won."

"Oh girl you know I did." She gives me a prideful smile and we both laugh.

"And here it is." My mom pulls down the road that will be my new street for the next 13 weeks.

We pull into a subdivision full of beautiful houses that look way beyond our budget. I swear each house has its own set of palm trees in the front. The further in we drive the nicer the homes get.

"Damn dad's really done well for himself huh?"

"Looks like it." My mom releases a heavy sigh.

"I still prefer our apartment in Chicago though. "

I look over at my mom and we share a smile.

"Help me find the house number it should be on the mailbox."

I scan the mail boxes as the numbers pass.

"It's this next one mom."

We park at the end of the driveway and share a glance before getting out of the car.

I go to the back and grab my two suitcases, one for all my clothes and the other for all of my cosmetics. My mom grabs my boxes of things like my book collection and my vinyls that I can not live without because I'm a bit of a nerd.

The front door slams and my brother comes rushing out towards us. He slams into me picking me up and spinning me around. I laugh uncontrollably.

"Xavier be careful with your sister!" Our moms voice sounds high pitched which makes Xavier laugh.