20 Questions

Chapter 12

REINA

I sigh with relief when I discover that it is, in fact, Zenith sitting out here on the beach. It would have been really awkward otherwise. I quietly walk up to him.

"Mind if I sit?"

He looks at me startled, and then his green eyes glaze over as he smiles at me.

"What are you doing out here?"

"I just got home a few minutes ago from my father daughter day."

His eyebrows shoot up.

"How did that go?"

"Very good," I smile down at him, then take a seat beside him as close as I can possibly get.

"What did you do?"

"We went to a bar and grill and had some crazy delicious sea food, and then we got ice cream and had some deep father daughter conversations."

"Sounds nice." He gives me a half smile.

I do not know what it is about him, but he seems off right now, not his usual flirty bold self. He seems distant.

"Zen?"

"Hmm." He hums.

"Are you okay?"

He looks off into the distance of the ocean ahead of us.

"Yeah, I'm okay, just not able to sleep."

"Why is that?" I loop my arm through his.

"Eh, it doesn't really matter, Reina." He shrugs.

"It matters to me, Zenith!" I nudge him with my shoulder.

He laughs lightly and nudges me back.

"Don't worry about me, okay?" His eyes seem so sad and far away. It makes my heart start to ache for him. What is he keeping locked up inside?

"Zen," I turn his face towards me. "I know this, us. I know it is still new and, fresh, and fun. But I want you to know that I am here for you, and if something is bothering you, I am here to listen. I'm not just in this for sunshine and rainbows, Zenith. I am in this for everything."

He stares at me for a moment and then presses his forehead against mine. We sit in silence for a moment, just enjoying the comfort of one another's presence.

"I want to tell you, Reina," he whispers, and I thought I heard his voice crack a little, "I'm just not ready yet, okay?"

"Okay, I understand." I whisper back.

He sighs.

"You have no idea how blessed I am to have met you. I feel like I have known you forever, like you have always been here. I'm sorry. I'm probably not making any sense right now."

I smile, feeling so many emotions stirring inside of me. I have to blink away the tears that are trying to fall.

"You trying to make me cry or something?" I laugh lightly, "but it does make sense, I feel the same way."

He pulls away a little and kisses me softly on my lips. I kiss him back, savoring the feeling of his lips against mine. Then he pulls away.

"Come here."

He opens his arms for me to crawl into. I sit in front of him, and he wraps his arms around me while my arms rest on his legs. I can feel his steady heartbeat against my back as I lay back against his chest while resting my head on his shoulder.