Home

Chapter 24

REINA

"You're really bad at this."

"I just downloaded it. You didn't even let me do any practice rounds."

"You act like you have never played combat games."

"Because I haven't!"

I hear the muffled voices continue to argue as I open my eyes. I wince from the harsh light streaming in from a window. I blink rapidly to help my eyes adjust.

I lay in a hospital bed. The monitor next to me beeps quietly occasionally as it continues to read my vitals.

My eyes make their way to the voices.

Xavier and Zenith sit side by side on the couch with their phones in their hands. They must be both playing some sort of game. Whatever it is has their complete and full attention.

I go to speak but stop because of how dry my mouth feels. As I begin to slowly sit up, Zenith's eyes flick up at me, and he does a double take. He slaps Xavier repeatedly on his shoulder, trying to get his attention. Xavier glares at him and then turns his eyes to look in my direction. His eyes are now as wide as Zenith's.

"Um, hi?" I croak.

Xavier rushes towards me, wrapping me in a hug that knocks the air out of me. I gasp, and he pulls away, checking me over to make sure he hasn't hurt me. There are tears in his eyes as he continues to stare at me.

"Reina?" I turn to see my mom walking into the room.

"Mom?" I look at her confused, "You're back already?"

"Reina!" She rushes towards me like Xavier did, and I brace for her empact, but she is much gentler than him. She caresses my face as she asks me so many questions about how I'm feeling, and am I okay. She cries as she smiles profusely at me.

Zenith stays in his seat on the couch just watching us all with a small smile on his face.

"Can I get some water, please?"

My mom and Xavier laugh like I have said the funniest thing they ever heard.
Zenith stands and gets me some water. He hands it to my mom, who helps me take a drink from the straw that is in it.

After I have had my fill, I finally ask the one question that's been on my mind since I woke up in here.

"What happened?"

"You were in a bad car accident." My mom begins. "It left you in a very serious coma. It has been almost three weeks..."

She hesitates for a moment.

"What is it?" I ask.

"We almost lost you, Reina." She releases a shaking breath.

"I-... did I die?" I can't believe what I am hearing.

"Briefly, yes," she replies as her eyes begin to water, "but you came back to us."

I look at her, and so many emotions come crashing down on me all at once. My lips begin to tremble as I start to cry uncontrollably. Xavier and her get on either side of me, both putting an arm around me. They hold on to me as my tears continue to fall as I sob.

. . .

I am back now from an MRI. The doctor said my swelling is gone now, and my brain looks to be completely healed of its trauma. I can go home tomorrow. But I have to come back for a checkup.

I called my dad on the phone, and he sang praise ye the Lord hallelujah really loudly on speaker phone. I had laughed along with my mom, who had hardly left my side since I woke up.