Pretty Gnarly

Chapter 4

ZENITH

I barely got any sleep last night, but at least this time, it isn't because of my nightmares. Reina is all I can think about. When I saw her for the first time getting out of her car the other day, it was like something hit me that I've never felt before. I just found myself wanting to know her, and I honestly don't know why. I guess it could be her shining brown skin and those long curls that frame her pretty face so perfectly, and god those big brown eyes of hers. She's so perfect, I continuously have to keep telling myself to chill.

When I saw her from the window in my house standing on her balcony, I went outside and started lifting weights so I wouldn't look like a creepy stalker who was only out there to gawk at her. But I am a creepy stalker. I went so far as to buy a Starfish necklace just so I would have a reason to talk to her. I was surprised that she said it was hers. I thought maybe she just didn't want me to feel stupid or maybe, just maybe, she might like me as I do her. I'm terrible when it comes to girls. I have never been able to get up the courage to talk to them, so I really don't understand how I'm so bold with Reina. She brings out a side of me I've never seen before. But all I know is I want more of it.

"You got in late last night." Cathy, my guardian, comes into the kitchen where I sit eating a bowl of cereal.

"I was out with a friend."

"A friend, huh?" She smiles, "from the way you're beginning to blush, I'd say they're more than just a friend."

I shake my head and laugh.

"Her name is Reina. She lives next door."

"Reina? that's a pretty name." She leans on her elbows and stares at me a big smile on her face.

"What?" I raise my eyebrows.

"Nothing. It's just been so long since I've seen you interested in anything other than surfing and fixing cars."

"I'm into a lot of things, Cathy."

"Oh really? Do tell."

I laugh and roll my eyes.

"Okay, so maybe you're right," she smirks at me, "a little bit right." I finish.

"Whatever. I want to meet this, Reina, so invite her to dinner sometime."

"Ugh, Cathy."

"Don't 'ugh Cathy' me, I want to know the girl that my honorary son is getting to know."

I smile. Cathy and her husband, John, have been really good to me over the years. They got me out of a really dark place, and if it wasn't for them, I probably wouldn't be here today.

"Well?" Cathy raises her eyebrows at me.

"I'll invite her over." I sigh, trying to sound annoyed, but the smile on my face doesn't make me convincing.

"Good boy. Now finish that cereal and get out of my kitchen so I can mop the floor."

"You want any help?"

"No, go visit Reina." She drags out her name.

"Will do." I laugh as I pull my phone out of my pocket and scroll through my contacts until I find Reina. I shoot her a text.

Z- feel like learning to surf?

A full minute goes by before I get a reply.

R- I would love that but I'm at the skate park with my brother and his friends

My shoulders slump.

Z- Another time then

R- you could always come hang with me at the skate park. You can skateboard, right?

I smile at her text.

Z- I can. On my way.

. . .

After parking my jeep, I grab my skateboard from the passenger seat and make my way to the skatepark.

The park's pretty full today, I'm not really into big crowds, but if Reina is here, then I'm here.

It only takes me a few minutes to spot her. She's wearing jean shorts with rips in them, her bikini bottom strings hang over the sides of her shorts just like the strings of her halter top hang from out of the neck of her crop top. I begin to make my way over to her, but stop when I see that guy who isn't her boyfriend start skating in circles around her. I don't know what he is saying, but it makes her laugh. I clench my jaw and start towards her again. When I'm almost to her, she spots me doing a double take. A beautiful smile spreads across her face, and I can't help but feel my pride swelling when she up and walks away from that guy to come over to me. He shoots me a glare, but I ignore it and give all my attention to the beautiful girl now in front of me.

"Took you long enough."

"You miss me?"

"Just like a little bit." She smiles, making a small measurement with her finger and thumb.

"Who's your friend lil sis." Reina looks over at her brother, who has just laid his arm over her shoulders.

"Xavier, this is our neighbor Zenith." She rolls her eyes, "Zenith, this is my annoying big brother Xavier."

I smirk at her reaction to her brother and then hold my hand out for Xavier to shake.

"Nice to meet you."

"Yeah, it is nice to meet me." Xavier sticks his chin up to appear tough as he shakes hands with me. He is tall but still has to look up to me.

"You skate?" I ask him.

"Ye you?"

I hold up my board, and Xavier's eyes widen.

"Is that the limited Nastas, Kaupas, and Shepherd?"

I look down at the deck of my board.

"Appears to be, wanna check it out?"

"You for real?"

"Yeah." I hand him my board.

"Sis, have I told you you have great taste."

Reina rolls her eyes, and we watch as Xavier walks towards a group of people showing them my board. We laugh when he slaps someone's hand away, who tries to touch it.

"Good luck getting that back." She laughs.

"Eh, he can keep it." I shrug.

"Are you kidding?" She gasps.

I laugh at her reaction.

"Yes, I'm kidding, my da-, John would kill me."

"John's your guardian, right?"

"That's him." I smile at the fact that she remembered.

"I don't know how long Xavier is going to be with your board."

"That's ok. We can just use his."

"His girlfriend is using it as a seat right now."

Reina points over to a Barbie look-alike blonde girl who takes multiple selfies while sitting on Xavier's skateboard.

"And what do you mean by we?" Reina asks, looking up at me with those big brown eyes of hers.

I smile down at her.

"I thought I could teach you a few tricks."

Her eyebrows raise as she looks at me.

"Just one second." She turns and heads towards Xavier's girlfriend.

A/N

                                  🛹💞