Checkmate

Chapter 23

REINA

I awake, staring at the clearest blue sky I have ever seen. All around me is tall golden grass that I can not see over. I stand up slowly and realize I am in a wheat field. But, how did I get here?
And where is everyone?

I call out for my mom. Nothing.

I then yell for Xavier and my dad.

Still nothing.

I do not know where I am, but I am not afraid. It is funny, though, because I can not really seem to remember what being afraid feels like.

I choose a direction and begin to walk. The sooner I find my family, the sooner I will figure out where I am and what has happened.

I think I have been walking for hours but I can not tell. I do not feel tired at all or even winded. Strange.

The field seems to go on forever, either which way I look. There isn't a road or any sort of path at all. Just this field of golden wheat and the blue sky stretches on endlessly.

I turn to try for another direction and end up bumping into something.

It is a small wooden table with two chairs on either side of it. A simple chess set sits in the middle of the table. I tilt my head at it curiously. I reach out and pick up the Knight. It is the chess piece that has the head of a horse. I twirl it around with my fingers.

"You are earlier than I expected, my dear."

I drop the chess piece and turn to face my grandpa.

I stare at him in shock. How is he here? This has to be a dream. But, if it's not a dream, then that must mean I am...

"You are in what we spirits like to call, Oblivion."

"Oblivion?" I repeat.

My grandpa nods.

"It is where one ends up before they cross over."

"Why am I here, Grandpa?"

He makes his way over to me and places his hands on my shoulders. He gives me one of his mischievous smiles.

"To play chess." He winks at me.

. . .

ZENITH

"Why you only teach Reina to surf and not me?" Xavier asks while shaking his head.

"Bro, you never once asked me to teach you how to surf." I laugh.

"Okay, and?"

"And you can't be mad at me for not knowing you even wanted to learn."

"Boy, bye." Xavier holds his hand up to silence me, "Ion know how Reina puts up with you."

"Bro, quit acting like you're my girl."

Before Xavier can come up with a comeback, the machine that is hooked up to Reina starts beeping really loudly.

I am on my feet in an instant, and so is Xavier. He runs out of the room, yelling for a nurse.

I stand at Reina's side, holding her hand. Her chest isn't rising and falling anymore. I feel myself starting to panic as two nurses rush into the room, followed by Xavier.

"What's happening?!" He moves around them, "is she going to be okay?!" Xavier yells.

One of the nurses tells him he needs to calm down. The other nurse yells things about Reina that don't sound good.