Burgers and Surprises

Chapter 3

REINA

"C'mon Rey, we're going to eat."

Xavier yells for me.

The sun is beginning to set, and I am still staring at Zenith. I've been watching him take on wave after wave while on his surfboard. Now I know nothing about surfing, but the way he glides the board through the water and snaps his board off the tips of the waves is so effortless that he has me watching in awe. His body looks strong and fit, and I have to remind myself to breathe as I watch.

"Reina!" Xavier yells.

I reluctantly tear my eyes away from the handsome surfer and walk back to my towel.

"Ya know, it's rude to stare, mate?"

Jacob kneels beside me as I put my things into my bag.

"I could say the same to you."

He smirks.

"Let me help ya." He folds my umbrella up and tucks it underneath his arm while I shake out my towel.

"You coming to eat with us, I'm guessing?"

"Wouldn't miss it." He winks, and I roll my eyes.

. . .

I sit on the inside of a booth with Jacob beside me. Xavier and Ashley sit across from us. Ashley keeps taking selfies of them, and I can't help but be amused by how annoyed my brother is.

"You two are so cute." I smile.

Xavier shoots me a glare.

"Thank you, babes!" Ashley blows me a kiss. "These are going on my snapstory."

"Oh Rey Rey, what's your snap."

"Reina doesn't believe in social media." Xavier says, rolling his eyes.

Ashley gasps.

"How do you stay up to date on what's trending?!"

"Google." I say, and Jacob chokes on his drink.

"I just prefer actual human interactions. Social media can be really toxic."

"But there's good things about it too." Jacob speaks up.

"I know that," I shrug, "it's just not for me."

"Well, well fancy seeing you all here."

A white girl with rainbow colored hair and a ring in her nose looks down at all of us.

"Hi Jakey." She bites her bottom lip.

"Hi Margo." Jacob mumbles her name.

"Who's your new girl?" She asks, looking at me and then back to Jacob.

"I'm not his girl." I say. I already don't like Margo. She has a bad vibe.

"Oh, then do you mind if I sit with him?" She asks, plastering the fakest smile on her face.

"Look, Margo -"

"Sure." I interrupt Jacob, and his eyes widen at me.

"It's fine. I was about to go up and order anyway."

Jacob stands, letting me out of the booth. I can feel him staring at me, but I avoid his gaze.

"All yours, Margo." I gesture towards my spot?"

"Thank you, pookie." She smirks.

I roll my eyes and walk over and wait in line behind a woman and her two children who are ordering ahead of me.