Healed Wounds

Chapter 22

ZENITH

It's been days now since Reina's accident. She still is not showing any signs of improvement, but she also has not gotten any worse. I'm taking that as a good sign.

The doctor said it was safe to remove her from the ICU, so now we are able to stay with her overnight in her room.

Xavier and I make our way back to Reina's room. We were sent by their mom to get some decorations to make Reina's room look more cheerful for when she wakes up.

I honestly think Miss Donna did it to get rid of the two of us for a while. We have been constantly hovering and not leaving Reina's side. I think the two of us were about to drive her crazy.

"Aye Ma, we're back!" Xavier announces as we walk into the room.

She shushes him and whispers.

"This is a hospital. Why are you talking so loud?!"

"Because I got a big mouth like my..."

Xavier's voice starts to trail off when his mother's eyes begin to narrow at him.

"Like my dad." He scoffs, dramatically rolling his eyes.

"Mhm," Miss Donna points to the couch beneath the window, "set the bags down there, and then you two get to decorating."

"I was wondering if I should make a playlist of some of her favorite artists, and we could play them on low for her to listen to." I say as I help Xavier.

"Well, aren't you just so sweet and thoughtful." Xavier coos at me, and I punch him on his arm.

"Ma! He hit me! Did you see that?!"

Miss Donna comes and slaps him upside the back of his head.

"Yes, I did! And didn't I tell you to be quiet!"

"MA!" Xavier exaggerates being hurt as he rubs his arm, trying to show it to her.

She gives her son side eye.

"That is a sweet idea Zenith thank you."

She gives me a warm smile.

When I first met Miss Donna, she wrapped me in the tightest hug and told me that my tears had better not be for her baby girl because her baby is strong and will make it through this.

Since she got here, she has lifted everyone's spirits, helped us to stay positive, and not give up hope.

I see where Reina gets her good heart from.

"Aye, these decorations ain't finna hang themselves." Xavier snaps his fingers at me.

I roll my eyes and start helping him again.

"If Reina was awake, she'd defend me for you hitting me." Xavier mumbles.

I laugh.

"Bro, you're still on that?!"

"I wasn't even ready!"

"So much for not ever being caught lacking."

"Man, shut the fu-"

"Xavier Antonio Smith." Miss Donna says just those three words, and he closes his mouth.

I smirk.

"We both know if Reina was awake, she would have beat your ass after I hit you."

We both laugh.

"Ye you right."

Miss Donna just shakes her head while smiling to herself, clearly amused by the two of us.