𝔸𝕔𝕥 𝕆𝕟𝕖: 𝕊𝕔𝕖𝕟𝕖 𝟛

"Halmeoni, do you want me to clear the wild plants from that side too?" Emily asked, squatted down in her grandmother's tiny garden, squinting from the sunlight in her eyes. Even though she is wearing a cap, she can still feel the burnt of the sun on her eyes. 

"Yes. Clear out everything you can. Then come in for lunch. It's ready," Emily's grandma called out from inside. The kitchen window happened to be facing exactly where the garden is. 

Emily nodded and squatted over to the next section. 

She is only staying at her grandmother's place for three days before leaving for University and it seems that her grandmother is hell bent on making sure that she uses these three days worth of time to clean up every domestic household work she needs help with. Never minding the fact that Emily would love to just sleep in and rest her body. 

So far she's helped change the lightbulbs in almost every room of the house, lifted heavy furniture so her grandmother can vacuum and mop underneath, deep cleaned the bathroom and now she is working on picking out the weeds from her grandmother's tiny garden. Now she's wondering if she should have just stayed at the training center until she had to leave for classes. 

At least she is getting delicious homemade food. Emily was starting to get sick of fried chicken. 

Emily finished picking on the weeds forty minutes later and headed inside.

"Wash your hands then come to eat. Quickly, The food is getting cold," Her grandmother told her and Emily obliged, going over to wash her hands before sitting down on the table to eat. 

Emily loved having her grandmother's soybean paste stew. She has had plenty in the training center cafeteria and even at her Univeristy but all of them are bland compared to what her grandmother manages to make. It makes her miss her mother's cooking since the taste is so similar. 

"What else do I have to do after lunch?" Emily asked her grandmother when she was halfway through her lunch.

Emily got along well enough with her grandmother to spend a couple of days all alone with her but there was always that small air of awkwardness and hesitance. As if she couldn't let herself go completely loose in the presence of her grandmother and Emily always remembered to use honorifics when addressing her. 

She knows that her grandmother cares for her a lot and wishes her the best in everything she does but Emily also knows that her grandmother also favors her younger sister more. Similar to most people. Emily has always supposed its to do with the fact her sister is much more cuter and adorable than Emily is, making her more approachable.

"Nothing much. Just help me pack the kimchis away," Her grandmother instructed. Her grandmother ran a kimchi store, very well known in this small town, and she sells all kinds of kimchi there all year along. Although she lives in a tiny house and doesn't look like it, her grandmother owns a very successful business and has provided jobs to many housewives in town. 

Later at night, when Emily had finished her chores for the day and has washed up, she went to the kitchen to take out the bottle of the sweet makgeolli from the fridge to have some. She normally can't consume too much alcohol due to training and the frequent drug tests before competitions, but Emily had developed a fond taste for rice wine and considering how she doesn't have training for the next few days, she decided to use this opportunity to treat herself.

Pulling out a chair along with the bottle of makgeolli and some chips, Emily poured some in her cup and drank a mouthful. One of the reasons why she likes makgeolli so much is that it tastes so much sweeter than other alcohols that you can barely even taste the bitter taste of the wine. It reminds of her early autumn evenings and sitting on the sand at the beach.