DATING AGAIN

The weekend was over and so did our days of sleeping in. And for once I can say that everything was actually going well. Madeline and I had our first date the next morning before we both came for work, that is six in the morning and had breakfast in the café near the hospital that is open almost all time of the day since its next to a hospital and people tend to frequent there and believe it or not, the hospital food is too bland since its mostly meant for patients and the cafeteria has only basic foods that are easy to eat faster.

The whole time we discussed our plans for the day after her shift is over, most likely, around eight and what are the changes that has happened in our lives over these last five years when she was doing her own residency. Hoffman group of hospitals were specialized in two fields of medicine, one is psychiatry and is their general surgeons, yes, they do have the state's best neuro and oncologist but those two are the most well-known field of medicine of our hospital and Madeline is also doing her fellowship in general surgery since it's a wide spectrum of study. By the end of our breakfast, we kissed each other good bye in hopes to meet each other.

It was actually a miracle that Madeline had that weekend off but the hospital had rules that the doctors who are invited to the new year award distribution can have the weekend off since only a very few doctors are invited for the occasion and the hospital can afford to run without those doctors and if there's an emergency and there is a desperate need for that specific doctor then they are called. Even I was dreading the moment Madeline would be called in for emergency since new years are always filled with accidents and suicide cases. But fortunately, they didn't need her.

Our most exotic dates were when I had finished my fellowship and was yet to begin my job and Madeline had finished her med school. At that time, we had around a week of holiday and we both decided to go on a road trip filled with random breaks, destinations and the most exotic dates of our relationship was when we were travelling.

Madeline was actually doing her first year of fellowship. That woman was intelligent. She skipped two years of school and finished her schooling at the age of fifteen and she worked her ass off for entering med school.

After drinking another cup of latte and one to go, I left for the hospital since it was close to my first appointment of the day. The amount of caffeine in my body did a good job in keeping me awake through out the day and with the occasional one cup of latte in the evening, I was able to wrap up my day.

I love listening to my patients patiently but sometimes even I suffer from lack of sleep and today was one of those days but thank god, no one noticed it.

After packing up for the day after my last appointment left, I glanced at the clock only to see that it was now seven in the evening and I sighed in relief since there was only an hour to go until it becomes eight. The day itself was relatively good and my assistant has also retired for the day. I was finishing up packing my things when a notification came.

Meet in the parking lot, love.

Lin

My breathing picked up in excitement since the day was finally over and I was exhausted and in a desperate need of a shower and some good warm home cooked meal. My stomach growled just from the thought of eating Madeline's cooking but we most probably won't be able to because of how tired she will be. I just hope she doesn't pass out as soon as she got inside the car.

*****

"How was your day?" I murmured something incoherent in response against Lin's back, wrapping my arms around her waist, pressing my face against her back and inhaling the warm smell of hot chocolate boiling in the pot.

"You are so warm." I murmured in a drunken state and her body vibrated as she chuckled while nuzzled against her back, her warmth lulling me back to sleep.