3. Syndrome

"Oh, no no no, Bibs. Please don't sit on those!" Vivian begged as she lunged over the floor, stopping the cat from going further.

Papers scattered throughout, some of the ink was still fresh as it sketched out in detail. Machines and gadgets, all drawn out in exact measurements and materials.

Maybe working on the floor wasn't the most ideal, but where else was she going to put it?

"Okay, so, if I make this half an inch shorter, it should fit perfectly within the diameter of this cylinder. So if I then connect this piece to here, it should do what I want it to do, right?"

Bibbers meowed, eyes blinking robotically.

"Yeah, I know you don't know." Vivian sighed, hands cradling her face in frustration. "I want this project to be over already!"

Bibbers meowed.

Vivian shrugged "I don't know why he wants this stupid thing so badly. Next time he asks I'll just tell him to do it himself. Why is he the boss if I have to do everything for him?"

Bibbers didn't know what to say to that.

For the past two years, Vivian has been working for a top secret organisation, specialised in crafting weaponry and artillery for multiple political clientele. Normally, her boss designed all of the products himself, but now he'd given her the task of finishing a project herself. Which meant completely by herself.

Vivian wondered if he just trusted her a lot, or if he was testing just how much she could do. Whatever it was, she was determined to blow his socks off. Which, in a way, wasn't that difficult to do.

If she'd learned one thing about him during her time there, it was that he's a giant nerd. Anything hero-gadget-y and he was on board!

It reminded her of her dad...

But now wasn't the time for sentimental flashbacks, she had a project to finish! What's the project, you might ask? Well, Vivian was tasked with a very important thing, and that was to make a gadget that was small, multifunctional and effective.

For what exactly? Vivian didn't know, nor did she care. That wasn't for her to worry about.

At two o'clock, she'd have another meeting. This time, to make sure everyone's progress was up to par. After all, a billion dollar industry doesn't run itself.

"Good evening, Eclipse." One of the guards greeted.

"Evening." Vivian greeted back, a small grin appearing on her face at the mention of her alias.

Eclipse, the moon overshining the sun. A beautiful, black overcast, who left those who stared blind. Beautiful, intriguing, and most of all, dangerous.

"Is he not here yet?" She raised her brow at the empty seat at the front of the S-engraved table.

Normally, the boss had a habit of making it to the meetings early. A powerplay to make others feel late, even if they weren't.

"I'm afraid not." Mirage, her personal assistant, responded. "I've been informed that he should be arriving soon."

"Wonderful." Eclipse nodded, taking her assigned seat.

What was he playing at this time?

"Well, since our host seems to be taking his time..." Eclipse sighed, after another 10 minutes of no-show. "Mirage, I want you to start looking for supers. Find out where they live and get them to come here willingly. The robot should be ready by the time they arrive."

"Yes, m'am." Mirage spoke. "Anything specific I should be aware of before I go in?"

Eclipse hummed in thought.

"Don't seem desperate, never beg." She concluded. "Tell them what they want to hear. They want to be a hero, so let them revel in that fantasy, it helps to let their guard down."

Mirage nodded. "Understood."

As Eclipse handed the blonde her necessary documents, the devil finally decided to appear. Sporting his beloved black and white spandex, he sauntered into the room like a celebrity, bursting the doors open wide.

"Let's get this party started!" Syndrome grinned.

Eclipse rolled her eyes, unamused at his theatrics.

"You're late." She hissed, her cat-like eyes slitting into a glare.

"Relax, Eclipse. I'm right on time." Syndrome winked at her, before turning to her assistant. "How much longer until they arrive?"

"Fifteen minutes, sir." Mirage checked.

"See?" Syndrome turned to Eclipse. "I'm not even on time, I'm early."

Should've been fifteen minutes earlier, the host should always be present at least half an hour beforehand. Vivian wanted to snap, but bit her tongue. Starting a fight was not how she wanted their morning to begin. They had important matters to discuss with some very important people. She just despised it when she found that Syndrome didn't take it as seriously as she did.

"Meow." Bibbers purred as she found her way into Syndrome's lap, after he'd taken his seat.

An action every normal person would see as one of adoration, a pet's love towards their owner. However, those people didn't know that Bibbers was a robot, and recorded every single thing; faces, voices and body temperature.

Over the years, Bibbers had gone from a toy cat, who could only meow and blink, to a top secret military service device. Vivian's personal little helper.

When Buddy Pine first met Vivian Hugh, he was this close to running for the hills when he found out that not only was she a crazy cat lady, but Bibbers wasn't even a real cat! Now, Syndrome had practically adopted Bibbers as his own. Little did he know, that in the case of a separation, Bibbers would always choose Vivian. She's quite literally programmed to do so.

"Welcome, gentlemen." Syndrome greeted as people boarded the room, refusing to get out of his chair as Bibbers sat quietly in his lap. "Please, take a seat."

---

"You were late." Vivian spoke, her back turned to him as she looked over her shoulder from the computer.

"What?" Buddy raised his brow, taking out of his focus by the broken silence, before he realised what she'd said. "Oh, that again? Alright, I admit I got a little distracted working on the robot. But I was still on time, sweetheart."

"It's unprofessional to not show up on time." Vivian stubbornly avoided his gaze, as he tried his best to make her look at him.

"No one was there yet!" Buddy groaned, his frustration rising as he played it off with a chuckle. "Gosh, control freak much?"

"Well I'm sorry for wanting to make sure everything turns out as it's supposed to." Vivian huffed.

Buddy sighed, reaching out a hand to gently caress her chin. Something that always made her weak.

"Look, I was later than planned, I know. It won't happen again."

Vivian hummed, finally looking him in the eyes. "I'll hold you to it."

"I know you will." Buddy teased, pulling her in closer.

Bibbers meowed in protest as they kissed, as if to say 'no more flirting! Get back to work!' He was right, they really should.

They still had a robot to finish.