10. One More Time

"Hello?"

"We have a new assignment for you." Eclipse spoke. "How soon can you get here?"

"I'll leave tomorrow morning." Mr. Incredible confirmed.

Eclipse smirked, knowing he couldn't see. "See you there."

"Goodbye."

---

It had been a while since they'd been in contact with Mr. Incredible, giving Syndrome enough time to perfect version ten. This time, for the last.

They'd both been so busy that they rarely saw each other. And with them sleeping in their seperate rooms again, it took until Mr. Incredible's next arrival for them to properly see each other again, face to face.

Vivian didn't realise how much she missed him, until he was standing right next to her. The smell of his personalized Eau de Cologne, the feeling of his latex glove against her skin, the zero point energy behind it almost sending a small tingle to whichever part of her it touched.

Syndrome, on the other hand, didn't seem as needy. In fact, he didn't act any different at all. As if he hadn't missed her, missed this, at all.

Sometimes, Vivian wondered if she was projecting her own emotions onto his actions. Or, perhaps, the consequences of refusing to acknowledge her own pain had come around to hit her in the face. Whatever it was, for the first time Vivian felt uncomfortable at a super entering their base.

For such a socially oblivious man, Syndrome did notice that.

"Trust me, if my calculations are correct, Mr. Incredible won't be here for much longer." He spoke into the silence. "After that, we'll finally be able to be happy."

Vivian wondered what he meant with that. Able to be happy. Weren't they able to do that now? Weren't they happy here, on Nomanisan? Weren't they happy when they thought they were going to have a family? Weren't they happy... together?

"I know how you're feeling, honey." Syndrome put his hands on her shoulders. "You're anxious, maybe even a little scared, excited? I get it. But I promise that I will take revenge, for myself, and for your father."

That sparked something in Vivian's heart. Revenge. Something she'd been working towards for fifteen years. Something that had led to her meeting Buddy Pine, and falling for him. Something that had made her filthy rich. Something that had made her nasty.

Somewhere, in the back of her mind, she wondered what her father would've thought of her now.

---

He'd done it. He'd actually done it. After all this time, Syndrome had accomplished his biggest goal; kill Mr. Incredible.

Everyone was celebrating, treating it like a big old soccer watch party. With snacks, champagne and confetti. An early celebration, of such a big goal. The world could never prepare for what was to come next.

With Operation Kronos in motion, he was filled with adrenaline. The thrill of the kill, and his goal in near sight, what more could he ask for?

Eclipse sat still, eyes focussed on the screen ahead of her. The camera in Syndrome's suit providing her a first row seat in the super's defeat. For others, they'd have to watch through the security. But that tiny camera was something special, for her and Syndrome alone. The footage? Well, that's classified.

She should be happy, shouldn't she? I mean, she was a little bit. Or was it relief? Relief that she no longer had to be so scared, so angry. It wasn't remorse, not quite, just... emptiness. A prophecy unfulfilled, she felt like something was missing. But what?

Without realising, she grasped the moon pendant around her neck. Letting out a small gasp as she heard a click. Her eyes snapped down, seeing the black and white blur inside, before swiftly snapping it shut. She didn't want to think of him right now, the reason she felt so... empty.

It didn't take long for Syndrome to strut in, peacocking around the room as he relished in the high of his accomplishments. With nothing tying him down, he felt unstoppable. He killed the strongest man alive, who could stop him now?

All he could think about was everything he was never able to have, and the inner promise of how he'd never be hurt again. At the top of the food chain, the greatest super the world has ever seen, Syndrome.

He hadn't even realised it, in his high state of mind, that his body had instantly taken him to where he craved to be. To her.

Coming back down to reality, he saw her standing there, in front of him. Her beautiful face, so radiant compared to her darkened eyes, like a black hole in the universe, pulling him in. She always looked so professional, in her dark form-fitting suit, high-necked shirt and matching flared pants. Like a supermodel, with a touch of villain.

Vivian Hugh meant the world to him, but he was never able to just say that.

Instead, he brought her to his bed, in an event of passion. Her limbs intertwined with his, as she took his breath away, his soul resting against her lips. Warmth, comfort and victory, that's how he would describe it. Too long had he missed her, neglected her for the greater good. Now, they could be whole again, two perfect halves connecting; Jing and Jang. But both of them held chaos inside them, crafted by the hurt of a child's soul. Only with her did he think of a future, instead of a deceased past.

He wished he could just say 'I love you'. But that would mean admitting to the world that she was his weakness. To hurt her meant to hurt him. And he refused to admit that anything could ever hurt him. 

But even in the thrill of desire, he felt something... missing. But he chose to ignore it.