11. Shattered Heart

"Intruder alert, repeat, intruder alert." Bibbers sounded suddenly, from the corner of their bedroom. "Intruder alert, repeat, intruder alert."

Vivian jumped out of bed instantly, with Buddy sitting up, snapping out of his clarified haze.

"What?" He mumbled, recollecting himself. "You've got to be kidding me..."

It wasn't long before Vivian got an incoming call from Mirage on her comms. Opening the line as she hurried to get dressed.

"Mirage, what's happening?" She stressed, almost falling over as she yanked her pants on.

She should really find a solution for that. Maybe a clothes-swapper?

"Mr. Incredible survived, we found him in the operating room after security went off. It appears he send out a homing signal at 23:07. To who, we do not know."

Vivian screeched after muting herself for a moment.

"Relocate him to interrogation room A1-13, Syndrome and I will be there in the morning." Vivian called, before disconnecting.

Meanwhile, Buddy was absolutely fascinated by the calculations shown to him by Bibbers. He couldn't believe it, Mr. Incredible had tricked his probe.

"I can't believe he did that. How cool is that? Tricking the probe like that... man!" He laughed. "I mean, come on! I'm geeking out over here!"

If it were any other situation, Vivian would've found his nerdish enthusiasm endearing. But right now, all she could feel was stress.

---

Mirage noted the tense look on Eclipse's face the second she entered the room. Arriving earlier than her partner, something unusual for them. The blonde fought the urge to snoop, with knowing as much about the dark-haired woman as she did. In a way, she considered Eclipse her friend, even if she was technically her boss.

She just hoped that Eclipse and Syndrome weren't fighting again. But by the way she was glaring at the holding cell when she walked in, Mirage could tell her reason of frustration was the opposite. Her and Syndrome hadn't been fighting, they'd been trying to be happy. And now, with Mr. Incredible still alive, Eclipse felt that she couldn't be happy.

"Have you uncovered the receivant of the signal yet?" Eclipse snapped as she took her place on the communication post.

"No." Mirage admitted. "But we've gotten a request from a government plane, asking for permission to land.

Eclipse sighed. It was clear that she didn't want to be here. Putting on her headset, she replayed the recording.

"Island tower, this is India Golf niner-niner requesting vectors to the initial, over."

Lovely.

"Set up your station." Eclipse assigned.

The blonde nodded, before taking her place at the electrical control. It was clear that Mirage had wanted to say more, to ask more. But had refrained from doing so. Good, Vivian didn't want to talk about it, and Mirage was way too good at playing therapist. The last year had proven as much.

As Syndrome entered the room, a smug grin on his face, it was Eclipse's que to open the holding cell. Mr. Incredible was barely conscious as he was turned to face them, arms and legs bound up by a force even he couldn't break.

"You, sir, truly are Mr. Incredible." Syndrome wagged his finger as he jumped up the steps to the prisoner. "You know, I was right to idolize you. I always knew you were tough, but tricking the probe by hiding under the bones of another super? Oh, man! I'm still geeking out about it."