16. Starting Over

"Hey, Richard. It's me, Vivian. You know, your niece? Yeah, hey listen, I need a favor from you."

Richard Hugh, one of the most important people in the USA. A member of the supreme court, his word was fact. If anyone could get Syndrome off the NSA radar, it was him. Normally, she wouldn't be this desperate, but they needed Buddy's stuff back. Without it, they'd have to start over.

Even after all of her crimes against the government, Vivian was still family. It also helped that she had some blackmail of her own, against some very important US politicians. Wouldn't want that to get out, now would they?

"I'll see what I can do." Richard mumbled, before quickly closing the call.

Twirling Dicker's card in her hand, she wondered what he meant when he said that they 'might' have an offer for her. It couldn't be a trick, could it? No, the NSA had the power to arrest her on the spot if they wanted to. And they knew that Syndrome was with her, she didn't expect the Incredibles to keep that a secret. If they wanted them locked up, they would've done so already.

"It still feels weird." Buddy noted as he walked out of the bathroom. "I'm not used to wearing normal clothes anymore."

For the first time in years, he wasn't dressed in his Syndrome-suit on the daily. Instead, he'd put on a pair of black skinny jeans, and a matching v-neck shirt. Eyes bright and blue, his freckles so noticeable without the mask covering them. He looked so boyish, so normal

"Well, better get used to it." Vivian smirked. "We won't get back to 'hero' work anytime soon."

"Pity." Buddy pouted. "I really liked that suit."

It was a pretty good suit, Vivian had to admit. He'd worked on it for ages. She used to tease him about it, saying he should've become a designer instead. Well, imagine her surprise when he gave her a suit of her own, to match with him.

"But what about yours... are you going to throw it away?" Buddy asked hesitantly. "I mean, you've given it a positive image haven't you? So there'd be no reason to-"

"I'm not throwing it away, Buddy." Vivian smiled. "Even if it wasn't all over the news, you made it for me, of course I'd keep it."

He seemed very satisfied with that. "You looked incredible in it, by the way."

"I know." Vivian smirked. "You sure know how to dress a woman."

Buddy laughed. "Oh, please. You could put on a trash bag and it would still look good."

Vivian raised her brow, the smirk still prominent on her face. Somehow, he still managed to call her beautiful without actually saying it.

"I like your normal clothes too, just to be clear." Vivian. "You look rather dashing."

"Haha, funny." Buddy rolled his eyes at her seducing words, the same she'd mumbled to Mr. Incredible.

"I'm serious." Vivian lifted her hand to caress his chin, tilting his head up to look her in the eyes. "You look very handsome, just like this."

He wasn't used to this. Normally it was him taking the first steps; the flirty words, the pulling in. Vivian enjoyed being seduced, and he enjoyed that little power play in their relationship - all consensual, of course. 

"Gosh darn, what are you doing to me, lady?" Buddy purred as he leaned into her touch. 

Vivian chuckled, before giving him a kiss on the cheek. It was clear that he was slightly disappointed that it wasn't on his lips, but he'd accept anything she'd give him. It had taken him too long to appreciate her presence, her light touches and warmth. Two days ago, he thought that he'd lost her forever. For her, he'd try to be better. 

"Go to bed, Buddy." Vivian spoke. "I still have some things to take care of, but it won't take long."

"Will you sleep with me, when you come back?" Buddy asked, before cringing at his words. "Not like that- just... you know what I mean."

Vivian chuckled. "I will, I promise."

"You don't need to do that... promise, I mean." Buddy got in bed. "Join me if you want to. You won't hurt my feelings if you don't."

That was a lie, it would definitely hurt his feelings. But Vivian didn't need to know that, it needed to be her decision to make.

"Okay." She nodded, before going to leave the room. "I'll be right back."

Going to her office, Vivian sat in her chair before pulling Dicker's card out of her jacket. Checking three times before calling the number on the shining paper. It rang only twice, before someone answered. 

"Hello?"

Vivian let out a deep breath. "This is Vivian Hugh, I'm interested in your offer."

Dicker chuckled from the other end of the line. 

"I figured you would be, I'm just surprised that it took you two days to figure it out." Dicker admitted. "The NSA is in need of new agents, especially after so many supers disappeared because of you and Syndrome. But, we have to admit that your knowledge of super-technology has us interested. We're offering you the position of an NSA agent, where you would be working with others to keep supers and civilians safe."

Vivian nodded, it was the least she could do. "I accept... under one condition."

"And what would that be?"

---

When she came back to Buddy's room, she was surprised to see him asleep. He probably assumed that she wouldn't be joining him again, or he was just really tired. She tried to be as quiet as possible as she went into the bathroom to change into the pyjama's she'd grabbed from her room, trying not to coo at his adorable sleeping face.

Gently, she laid down on the open spot on the other side of the bed. Still so much space between them as she shimmied under the covers, before making herself comfortable. Her back turned to him, she didn't notice he'd shifted until she felt a pair of strong arms grasp around her waist, pulling her tightly towards his chest. 

"You came back?" Buddy mumbled, his voice husky from barely waking up.

"I said I would, didn't I?" Vivian chuckled, feeling him lay his head in the back of her neck. 

Shifting, Vivian turned to face him, running her hand over his cheek. He looked at her as if she were the stars, shining and gorgeous in the darkness. He didn't need to tell her that he loved her, in this moment, she could see it in his eyes. Gaining the confidence to cuddle her more, Buddy wormed his arms around her again, as her arms wrapped around his head. He laid on her chest, relishing in the warmth she gave. 

He let out a deep sigh. "Oh, I missed this."

Vivian felt her heart swell, giving him a kiss on his forehead. It had been so long that they laid like this, and usually it would be her that cuddled into his side, not the other way around. She liked this, and she loved him. 

Going against the plan had been the best decision of her life. If she hadn't, she didn't have the heart to think about where they'd be right now. Best case scenario, in prison. Worst case, dead. Now, tell me. What do you usually see in your superhero shows? Where do the one-time villains go? Yeah... exactly. 

But Vivian wasn't dead, nor in prison. She was in her bed, peacefully sleeping with the man she loved. She wished this moment could last forever. 

Who knows what the future could hold.