Best I've Ever Had

Then

Reyna loved the ocean.

Ever since she was a child, she would sneak out of the house early in the morning and rush to the nearby beach to catch the sunrise. Wherever the sun would just reach the horizon and the sky would become painted in hues of orange, red, and purple, the girl's heart would swell at its beauty.

So naturally, when she met Krillian Risue and he whisked her away straight to a field of flowers overlooking the sea, she was a goner.

Call it young, naive, and stupid (because it most definitely was all three of those she would eventually find out), but Reyna couldn't not fall head-over-heels in love with the young man. Krillian was what every woman dreamed of finding in a companion. He was handsome, affectionate, said everything Reyna wanted to hear, and came from a very wealthy family. (A shallow trait, of course. But after the loss of Reyna's mother, it was the light at the end of a very dark and dangerous tunnel.)

"Promise me something," Krillian spoke softly into her ear while the couple snuggled close together under a warm blanket along the coastline, waiting for the sun to come up to start a new day.

"Anything," Reyna leaned into his chest with a sigh of contentment. "You know I'd do anything for you."

"Would you kill for me?"

A question that should have been a giant red flag at the time for the young woman, but she answered in the affirmative in a heartbeat. She already killed once. What harm could one more be?

"Will you love me forever? No matter what?"

What a manipulating bastard.

Now

The interior of Baratie was far grander than Reyna ever anticipated. Upon entering the establishment, Reyna failed from letting out a loud gasp at its sheer elegance. As she made her way to the host, she took in the fine details of the exotic fabrics draping down the sides of the walls, and the intricate carvings of varied fish and sea animals located throughout the room.

Ok, maybe the fish head at the bow of the ship made a little bit more sense.

"Welcome to Baratie, how may I help you?" the fish-man asked, a polite smile on his face.