The Mini Adventures of Reyna, Sanji and Crew: The Kitchen Catastrophe

Now

Reyna was a morning person.

The dawn of a new day brought a new opportunity to get things done, a new opportunity to better yourself, and a fresh start.

Normally, at the beginning of the day, Reyna would wake up, get herself made up for the day then head into the neighboring medical room. This usually included checking over inventory and adding the designated items to the shopping list for when the ship would next make port. Followed by a bit of light reading from the limited books located on the near-vacant shelves. Another item desperately needed to be added to the shopping list.

Once a few pages were read, Reyna made her way up to the Meeting Room/kitchen where Sanji would be preparing breakfast. Very rarely would another member of the crew be awake at that time. This gave Reyna and Sanji the perfect time to spend some time together without their other shipmates around.

It was nice.

The relaxing flow of their conversations. No need to bring up anything unnecessary or unimportant. Sanji was indeed letting her go as slow as she wanted. No. As slow as she needed. He never pressed, never pursued further, unless she was ready. It was such a nice change from what Reyna was used to, and she appreciated it immensely. So much so, that after a few days, she was willing to open up to the blond cook.

She told him about her time with the Shellbacks. How they were the only family unit she'd ever known after her mother's death. She told him about Dojo and how he taught her how to fight and use her weapons. Sanji laughed when Reyna told him the first time another pirate crew attempted to ransack their ship. It was the first time Reyna fought, and she failed miserably. Her opponent managed to lock her up in their own ship's brig. Reyna waited hours until Dojo found her when the fight came to an end.

"That must have been a very humbling moment," Sanji said between his laughter.

"You have no idea," she replied.

One morning, however, Reyna woke up extremely anxious. She didn't hop out of bed. She didn't get dressed and brush her teeth right away. She didn't swing over to the medic room. Instead, she lay in bed, tossing back and forth trying to figure out where she had gone wrong.

"I have to make breakfast today," Reyna whispered, staring up at the plain, paneled ceiling. Why she agreed, well, that wasn't much of a mystery. She'd been caught up in the moment and was now regretting her decision. Reluctantly, she tossed the comforter to the side and got dressed.

Each step toward the kitchen felt heavier and heavier as though Reyna had gotten stuck in a vat of molasses. The upcoming experience was going to be awful she decided while begrudgingly entering the Meeting Room.

There was no going back now. Not when Reyna realized just how much effort Sanji put into the morning endeavor. Immediately from the doorway, she could spot the numerous ingredients spread out on the kitchen island. Reyna's stomach knotted itself up tight. Sanji wasn't starting her off easy. Not by a long shot by the looks of it. Even as she approached, the blond continued adding more ingredients to the almost overflowing table.

"Reyna," he gave her his one-hundred-watt smile. "You're here. I was getting a bit worried that you were going to stand me up."

"I can't do this," she shook her head.

"Nonsense," Sanji grabbed a hold of her hand, pulling her in between the tabletop and the stove. "You are going to be fine. I will help you every step of the way."

"Sanji," Reyna protested.

"Reyna," he griped right back. "Trust me. Everything is going to be fine. Now, based on the ingredients before you, what do you think we're making for breakfast?"