Double-Crosser

Now

Of all the stories Reyna thought Sanji was going to tell them, nothing prepared her for the most heartbreaking backstory she had ever heard in her life. Her own upbringing wasn't all sunshine and rainbows either, but Sanji's; it took everything Reyna had inside her to not break down into a sobbing mess on the floor.

Twice she felt her heart break into a million pieces. The first, when Sanji described the ship taking on water during a storm, resulting in himself and Zeff being stranded on an island/rock with nothing but two sacks of food. The second, and most excruciating, realization of what Zeff did to survive while giving Sanji the only available food. Zeff kept the treasures he'd stolen for himself. How someone, two someones, could live through something like that; it was something Reyna only wanted to imagine in her nightmares.

So many thoughts bombarded Reyna's mind.

Could someone, anyway really, with an upbringing such as that live a full life and be truly happy? By looking at Sanji and how he lived his life, Reyna would undoubtedly say yes. Would that mean it was possible for her to live a happy life, too?

"Have any idea what that's like?" Sanji's voice brought Reyna back to the present. "Having someone lose a limb to save your life?"

No, not in the slightest.

"Actually, I kind of do," Luffy answered after a long moment of silence.

"Look, all I'm saying is, we were out there for 85 days. He could've let me die on that rock. Instead, he acted like a captain. He made the tough call."

"I'd eat both arms and legs to save Zoro's life," Luffy stated without hesitation.

He smiled at the three individuals around the table. Then wordlessly exited out of the room. Presumably, back to where Zoro was resting.

"I- I don't think he completely grasped your story," Usopp watched Luffy's retreating form. "85 days? That's crazy! I wouldn't have been able to make it that long."

"You'd be amazed what your body is capable of under extreme conditions," Sanji answered, eyes widening at the look of pure sadness, complete with unshed tears, on Reyna's face as she stared directly at him. "Reyna?"

The distressing look on her face tugged at Sanji's heartstrings. He never intended for his tale to cause anyone in the room such discomfort, especially Reyna. Maybe, maybe he should have waited for a better moment to bring up more personal information about himself.

He wasn't quite sure how she jumped the island in the center of the room so quickly, but she did. And before he could utter a single word, Reyna's arms wrapped around his waist in a tight embrace as her forehead pressed against his firm chest. Her shoulders shook, and the tears; Sanji could already feel them dampening his shirt.

"Reyna, I-"

"I am so sorry," she cried. "No one should have to experience something like that. Especially a child. I also take back everything I said about Zeff being a teddy bear."

"It's all right," he answered with a small chuckle, absentmindedly wrapping his arms around her small waist in return. He could immediately feel some of the tension leaving her body. "I'm still alive to talk about it, and I bet Zeff will accept your apology."