Someone Clearly Doesn't Want to be Rescued

Then

Thud.

Thud.

Thud.

Thud.

Thud.

The sound of metal sinking into a wooden post was the only sound on the small pirate ship. Reyna got up with the sun, claimed a spot atop three empty barrels and watched the sun rise in the middle of the ocean. Said activity had quickly become her favorite after joining the Shellback Pirates just a few short weeks ago. There was something very calming about watching the start of a new day lift out of the horizon. Then, once the beautiful colors in the sky brought forth the brilliant blue, it was time for her target practice. The only problem Reyna faced was how fast she mastered the skill. Now, instead of the well-looked-forward-to part of the day, target practice was now dull and mundane. She even ran out of trick shots to master.

"Why the sad look on your face, Rey?" Dojo asked, arriving from below deck from breakfast with the rest of the men. Something Reyna had yet to partake in.

The youngest member of the Shellback Pirate, save for Reyna that is, was a rather ruggedly handsome man in his early thirties with long, dark hair which he usually kept in a very messy and disheveled style. His deep-blue eyes sparkled with mischief and was always looking for an adventure of some kind. But despite his rugged exterior, there was a gentle soul beneath that could be seen in his kind, compassionate eyes.

The day Reyna joined their crew, the pair formed a strong bond almost immediately. Dojo quickly became the older brother she'd always wanted.

"Throwing knives has now become boring," she answered, rolling onto her back in a very dramatic fashion. "It's not a challenge anymore."

"Is that right?" he hopped up beside her.

"That's right," she sighed, throwing one arm over her face. "There has to be something else I can work on. Why can't I practice with a sword like everyone else? Swords are handy. Plus, they make you look all serious and macho."

"The swords here are a bit too much for you, Rey. You found that out the hard way. Remember?"

"How could I forget?" she held up the other arm, draped over the side of her makeshift seat still wrapped tightly in bandages. "Hey, what about those small, thin swords I saw you practicing with the other day?"

"You mean my sai?" Dojo asked.

"Yeah, those. They look like fun."

Now