Golden Ticket

Then

Fifteen months of working odd jobs around the city just to get a meal and a roof over her head. At least they weren't those jobs this time.

Sixty-five weeks of going back-and-forth with herself, trying to figure out what to do with her life.

Four hundred and fifty-six days to finally put her foot down and decide it's time to pack up and start over.

Reyna drummed her fingers along the wooden table, watching the pawnbroker inspect each of the items she brought into the shop. Six precious gems, four fabrics made of the finest silks, two swords (rumored to belong to Gol D. Roger's crew), and one book rumored to claim the locations of legendary places. She knew she'd be getting the money she was looking for, but Reyna was on a very tight schedule.

"This is quite the collection you have, Miss Smith," the old man finally looked up at her through his thick-rimmed glasses. "Name your price. I am sure I can get five-times that amount at any auction or to the right buyer. I would like to know, however; how it is you've come across these lovely pieces."

"I was a maid in one of the politician's houses," the lie came easily. "As a parting gift, the wife let me pick a few items from their collection to take with me. They were a big collector of antiques and the finer things in life, as you can clearly see."

"Huh," the elderly man stroked his long, white beard. "Very interesting. And your employer didn't mind you taking these specific items?"

"No, sir," Reyna shook her head. "All of their pieces were going in and out almost monthly to other collectors or buyers. Similar to what you are planning on doing with these, I'm sure."

"And you don't want to keep any of these for yourself?" he inquired. "I don't think you understand just how valuable some of these items are."

"They mean nothing to me," she answered honestly. "I've overstayed my welcome in this city since leaving my employer already. I would just like the money, so I can move on and start my life over. Away from this place."

The last part came out as a whisper.

Reyna still wasn't sure why she waited this long to leave Notice. Nothing tied her down to the city anymore. Not since leaving Krillian the day they were supposed to get married. Perhaps it was the familiarity of the city that toyed with her mind, thinking that there had to be something else for her to do. That she could move on and be happy with her life. But after fifteen long months, it dawned on her that the dream just wasn't so.

"If you're sure," the pawnbroker delicately placed each item on the other side of the counter. "How much would you like for all of these?"

Reyna knew the items she stashed in her messenger bag the night he left Risue mansion were worth her weight in Berry, if not more. But she was never the type of woman to pine after money or treasures. She was perfectly happy with having what she needed.