How to Save a Life

Now

Of all the things Zeff expected to see when he entered Baratie's kitchen early the next morning, Sanji and a female companion from the night before, enjoying breakfast while laughing so hard tears streamed down the sides of their face was not it. Well, maybe there was a five percent chance he would have seen something like it, but it definitely would not be with a female companion that was supposed to be on a cruise ship that left the dock not two minutes ago.

"Morning, Zeff," Sanji noticed the older man first, wiping a stray tear from his eye. "We have some leftovers if you're hungry."

Zeff's dark eyes bounced between the duo, trying to piece together whatever it was he was seeing. When his gaze landed on the dark-haired woman (the one he seemed to recollect as Miss Smith, as Kodie claimed but never confirmed,) she immediately blushed. She knew what he was thinking.

"Miss Smith," he spoke. "I'm sure you are aware that Mariana's Mercy has officially departed."

"Yes, sir," her voice was firmer than he imagined it would be. "There's been a change of plans, you see."

"Yes, I can see that," he looked back at Sanji.

"It's not like that, Zeff," he said. "Reyna had an important reason to stay back."

"It's none of my business what you get into after working hours," Zeff shrugged, making his way over to the remaining breakfast, taking a slice of bacon for himself. "No breakfast is complete without bacon."

Sanji snorted.

"What?"

"That's exactly what I said," Reyna answered, gathering the dirtied plates.

"You don't have to do that," Sanji told her, watching as she filled up the sink with warm, soapy water.

"You cooked," she took the dirty spatula, pointing it at him in an attempt to appear threatening even though the effect was quite the opposite. "I clean. It's only fair. But you can dry, if you want."

Zeff poured himself a generous cup of coffee, his watchful stare never leaving them. To say he was confused was an understatement. Yes, he didn't care what his employees did once their shift was over, but there was something very perplexing about what was developing right before his eyes.

He was one-hundred percent sure neither Sanji nor Reyna knew each other prior to last evening, but there they were. Less than twenty-four hours and now they looked like they'd been friends since childhood. What happened in such a short amount of time? Zeff didn't want to know, the more he thought about it.

"I still don't believe you, by the way," Sanji hung up the damp towel when they finished cleaning, drying, and putting all the dishes back into their proper places. "There's no way you almost burned down a kitchen trying to make mashed potatoes. It's not possible."

"On my life, I swear I am not lying," Reyna insisted, taking in their job well done, "just the way kitchens are supposed to be. "I can chop, cut, dice, mince, slice; any prep you need, but ask me to cook something, and it will be dreadful and completely inedible."

"We'll have to work on that then, won't we?" he nudged her with his shoulder playfully.

"You'd trust me in your kitchen?"

"You haven't given me a reason not to," he pointed out. "But I'll be sure to take extra precautions before we get started."

"That's probably for the best," Reyna shook her head. "Just want to give you a heads up. Is there a restroom around that I may use? I really need to get out of this dress."