|Fourteen|

Gia's small frame shook violently as Sash held her close with tight arms. There was a large purple bruise on her arm, and her right eye was black with swelling. As I stared at her worrisome state, my mind couldn't help but drift back to Her. It was in fact the very same way Richard would hit Her while she was still alive.
His petty jealousy would always get the best of him, and he constantly took it out on Her. He was insecure given Her beauty and wanted to contain it. When he couldn't, he would beat Her senselessly to keep her from looking as good.

It never seems to end. The cycle continues even with Her gone. Richard persists to seek out the most angelic creatures, only to rip their wings from their backs and mount them on his wall; and now it happens to poor Gia. A stubborn child who refused to heed my warnings.

"Oh my God! Ace! Do something!" A shout jolted me back to the situation at hand. Gia's gaze met mine and with a forced breath from her lips she faded. "Ace!" Sash pleaded as a tear fell down her cheek. Reaching down, I pulled Gia's motionless body to my chest before lifting her from the ground. She was so small it was hard to imagine we were the same age; let alone the amount of damage she got from the hits she received. It was a shock she was still intact.

Reaching my guest room, I rested her unconscious body gently on the bed before elevating her head onto a pillow. She looked so helpless, so frail, so small. What pleasure would one get from hurting a woman this way? Gia was no taller than my kid sister. The height and sheer strength of my father would send her flying; and he would hit her. The feeling that coursed through me was not anger, no, it was fury.

"I don't care how long it takes; I will have his head."

"Is she one of yours?" Sash inquired as she hovered over Gia's motionless body. "No, she belongs to him." A look of scorn washed over me as the words left my lips. He didn't deserve her. "She's gorgeous." Sash lowered herself and tucked a strand of hair behind Gia's ear. "So, does that mean he remarried?" "Yes, he did." I confirmed with a sigh as my eyes wondered over to the main house. He was no doubt looking down at me from his office. Saying how weak I was to have picked her up instead of leaving her outside in the cold. He always said I was too soft, alluding to me being exactly like Her.

"Do you need me to stay and help with her?" Sash's tone was soft, and I could tell how worried she was; but the last thing I needed was her getting mixed up with Gia and my father. "No, that's okay I can handle it from here." I reassured. "Ace are you sure? I can help, just say the word." She pushed. "No, I have this covered." My hand reached out to pat her head. Her look softened and a sigh slipped from her. "Fine, but at least let me help to change her into something better. You can draw her a bath." She insisted, but I appreciate the help.

I stepped out leaving Sash to remove Gia's clothes and went to warm a bath. As soon as I was through, I carried her in where Sash washed her badly bruised skin. After her bath, she wrapped her wet body in a towel; then I carried her back to the bed. I left Sash to get Gia changed and stepped into my sitting room.

My mind was in a state of disarray and with good reason. I had hoped to stay as far from Gia as possible while in the estate, but now this. It was a pain for sure, but what was worse was she might end up here again. Richard will hit her again, but the next time it could just kill her. There was no way I could continue to stay here knowing how jealous Richard was. To keep her safe until I can bring him down, I will need to leave as soon as possible.

Sash treaded to me and with a hug, she shook her head and took her leave. Before stepping out she warned me to take care of Gia. I knew what she meant, and I understood how she felt; but there was nothing I could do. Not as yet at least.