✧2. Land.✧

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

Your eyes slowly blinked open. Something feels weird but you can't put your finger on it. The water tastes... different. Kind of dry? Can water be dry?

Doesn't matter. It tastes weird. You couldn't see anything. It was dark. You reached your hands up to feel around your environment, but when you tried to extend them, you were stopped by a wooden surface. 

Whatever was clothing you felt heavy. Probably expensive fabrics. 

Were you caught by a fisherman? Is that why you're in this big box? Maybe they're holding you here so they can cut you up. This thought made you panic. 

You began to bang on the wooden surface, hoping to break through. You definitely were not going to die here. Never.

After more bangs and various punches, the lid flung off, causing you to fall out. You land on the palms of your hands and push yourself back up. "Where... am I...?" You thought out loud as you looked around. There were various floating boxes. They had already been opened. The room around you was heavily decorated with things like lights and silk.

You then noticed your hands. They looked... weird. They were no longer webbed. You inspected your hands closer. They're... fleshy? Skin had replaced your teal scales and your arm fins were gone. You looked over at your tail. 

.

"...IT'S GONE?" You felt panicked for a second before realizing that a pair of legs had replaced your tail. You touched your new legs, absolutely bewildered about their presence. You quickly felt your neck for your gills, which were now gone. All of the scales on your body were replaced by skin. Are you... human?

You took a deep breath. You're not in water. This is air that you're breathing! "How can this be..." You mumbled with bewilderment. Sure, it was rumored that sirens could have a human form but nobody ever tested it out. 

You moved your legs around, just to make sure they worked. It felt so weird. You moved to be on your knees. Wait... how do you walk? You grabbed the side of the box as you attempted to stand up. Your legs felt wobbly as you rose to your feet.

You successfully stood up! That's a start! You let go of the wooden box, causing you to wobble a bit. You slowly steadied yourself.

Now to walk.

.

.

How do you do that?

You look down at your legs and think back to what you'd seen the humans do. "One foot in front of the other, right?" You thought out loud as you stared at your legs. Humans kind of just... fall and land on their feet, right? "...Welp. Nothin' to it but to do it, I suppose!" You took a breath and raised your left leg, you then allowed yourself to fall onto your left foot.

A look of surprise flashed onto your face. You lifted your right leg and fell onto your foot again. You took two full steps! That's... totally a start! One small step for a Siren, one giant leap for Siren-kind! You've heard a human say something like that before. That's how you use that phrase, right?

You took a few more steps and walking became rather easy. After walking around the room for a minute or two it was almost like you'd been walking for your entire life. You felt extremely proud of yourself.

You suddenly heard the tapping of shoes from behind a large door. This made you panic for some reason. Was it a human? Was it going to kill you?

The doors flung open and revealed a tall man, a boy, and a... creature.

The man wore a black bird mask with yellow lights for his eyes. His hair was long and black and he wore a large black and blue tophat. He had a large jacket hanging on his shoulder with feathers sticking out. His ears were pointed and he wore black gloves. He wore suit pants and a black and blue vest over a white button-up and tie.

The smaller boy next to him had short messy brown hair. He had chocolate-colored eyes and he seemed to be wearing the same robes as you. He looked very confused. 

Under the taller man's right arm was a little grey... thing? You hadn't really seen any other mammals before so you couldn't tell what it was. Its pointed ears were aflame and it seemed very angry. It was tied up with a leather-like rope. 

"My, this is unprecedented!" The man began, his voice was deep. "Two students who were too eager to wait for me to release them!" The man sassily put his free hand on his hip.

"Such impatient students."He shook his head."Come now, the both of you are late for your orientation!" He motioned for you to follow him and you did. "Go on, now. Make haste."

You had so many questions. What even was an orientation? The brunette boy spoke up. "First, just tell me one thing: Where are we?" You internally thanked him for speaking first. "Hm? Have you not fully regained consciousness? The time-space teleportation must have addled your memories..." What is bro yapping about? You also heard a human say that before. You weren't sure if that's how you use that phrase.

"Well, these things happen, I suppose."The man shrugged his shoulders."I shall explain it to you while we walk. Truly, my magnanimity is boundless." You assumed that word meant generosity. The man cleared his throat. You were now outside. You'd never been able to see nature like this before, it was very pretty.

"This is Night Raven College. It is an institution for students the world over who demonstrate a rare aptitude for magic." You pretended that you understood all of the big words he was using. "It is the most prestigious academy of its sort in all of Twisted Wonderland. And I am Dire Crowley. Having been entrusted with its care by the chairman, I serve as headmage."

"Magic?!" The brunette boy sounded surprised. Crowley ignored the boys surprise. "Only those who the Dark Mirror perceives as having a talent for magic are admitted to the college. Those who are selected are summoned to the campus through those "gates," which can appear anywhere." So those boxes were called 'gates'. Interesting! "A black carriage bearing one such gate should have come to meet you."

That did not happen! "I do kinda remember crossing a dark forest..."The boy thought out loud. "I don't remember that..." You mumbled only to be ignored. "That black carriage serves to receive a student chosen by the Dark Mirror. It too bears a gate that connects to this campus." Crowley dutifully explained. "And as you know, sending a carriage to meet someone on a special day is a time-honored tradition."

Is it really? You wouldn't know but you were willing to believe it! "Uh, a time-honored tradition WHERE?" The boy said with so much sass. The creature under Crowley's arm squirmed and made muffled noises but was ignored. "Now, let us attend to your orientation."

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

A/N: Y/N has probably heard so many things from humans and she probably tries to use them in her daily life... (she has no idea what half of these words and phrases mean)

𓆩⟡𓆪