lies and tells (1/2)

Jihyo tried inserting the key to your apartment but noticed the lock had been changed. She frowned, slightly upset. She'd been touring in Europe and they get a week break before the next stop. She missed you and came to your apartment straight from the airport.

She was about to call you but you opened the door right before she dialled your number. "Hey, Jihyo." You said, her smile completely dropping at the mention of her name.

You don't call each other by your names in this house.

Only babe or baby are allowed.

"Jihyo? What's going on, baby? Did you change the lock while I was away?" Jihyo asked, putting her bags and gifts down by the couch.

You nodded.

"Well, remember to give me a set of the new keys." She laughed, trying to make the atmosphere lighter.

But you couldn't smile.

You shook your head, "No, I'm sorry. I won't be giving you the new keys to this house."

"Why not?" Jihyo frowned, now she was really confused by your attitude.

"Because I'm breaking up with you."

"Is this a joke? Or a prank?"

"No. I'm serious, Jihyo. I'm sorry, I just think we've been spending lesser time with each other. It's best if we end things between us right now."

"What are you talking about?! I basically live here when I don't have schedules! And it's only been a few months since our tour started!"

"Please don't make this harder than it already is, please. I packed your things, they're by the shoe cabinet."

Jihyo scoffed, she wondered how she missed that when she came in.

She doesn't believe you even for a second, because she knows when you are lying.

"Tell me you fell out of love with me and I'll go. Tell me you don't love me anymore and I'll go."

"No."

"Tell me!"

"NO!"

Tears were streaming down Jihyo's cheeks. She just couldn't understand why you want to break up with her when things were going so well. Whatever reason you have, she wanted to know.

"You know, when I was young, I tried lying to my dad and he told me this — anyone who has a secret, has a tell." Jihyo gently lifted your chin so you'd meet eyes with her. "And you know what your tell is? You won't look at me when you lie."

You pulled away from Jihyo, taking a step back.

"Just go. We're done." You turned around, pretending to be busy so that your back would be facing Jihyo. You couldn't look at her knowing that you'd just break her heart into a million pieces.

"We're not. And I'll be back."

"I won't see you."

Jihyo wiped at her face and tossed the old keys into the bowl next to the door.

You fell to your knees and started sobbing when you realised what you'd just done. You not only chased the love of your life away, but you also tore her heart into pieces.

After you've calmed down, you picked up your phone to leave someone a voicemail.

"I did it. I've done what you told me to do. Now you promise me to leave the girls and my family alone."