Aitana

Aitana's POV

I was on the top of the world.

I'm not sure I could be playing any better right now. I won the World Cup. I won the golden ball. I won everything I could at the moment. That means everything I do right now has to continue to be perfect.

They called me 'the perfectionist'.

"What else do you want to win this year?" I shrugged as I held onto my Eufa trophy. I was so proud of myself to be playing as well as I had. There was nothing in life that I loved more than futbol.

It's called the beautiful game for a reason. Barcelona was my dream club to play for the senior level. I've never played for any other team. Barca til I live or die.

"Keep it up Tana. We're all proud of you."

"I appreciate the support you guys."

"We signed a new player." Lucy was intensely reading something on her phone for awhile. I was confused on what she was upto but I suppose now we know.

"Talking about Ona?"

"No dummy. I'm well aware that Ona signed with Barca. I'm referring to the midfielder. I find it crazy that we even signed one honestly. I mean with you, Alexia, Kiera, Patri, and Ingrid. I just don't see who they would want to sign with." Lucy shrugged.

"Injuries have been a problem lately could be a semi good player for safety." I shrugged but Lucy face changed.

"Yeah or the younger American all star midfielder..." Lucy's face scrunched reading her phone.

"Oh..." I felt an odd chill across my body.

We've only played the American's a few times but none to our advantage. I've never won against the USA and despite all the things we have won recently it bothered me to not have the satisfaction of saying I've beaten the United States National team.

"We signed..." I trailed off.

"Yeah. That's kind of cool. I like McKinley Martin. She's sweet girl and super harder worker. Besides she's a skills player I think she'll fit in well." Lucy shrugged as I heard her phone begin to read. She was calling someone.

"Hey Kinley."

"Hey Luce, I take it you heard the news?" I could hear the smile from the girl on the phone. A drop in my stomach from the thought of her playing here.

There was something different about me in midfield. I barely played in the 2019 Women's World Cup. McKinley Martin won her first World Cup that year. Everyone finds her so sweet but all I remember from her is asking to exchange jerseys and getting snubbed.

McKinley Martin seemed anything but nice to me. She was a threat to my position. Another right mid winger. Why was coach doint this? I've played so well and now he basically was signing a replacement or back up that could arguably be on the same level.

McKinley was a well known player as well. She didn't play in the 2023 World Cup. There was huge headlines about her being left of the roster due to a personal issue. Seems like she just let her team down to me.

So why let your team down then runaway by leaving the country? What was McKinley Martin's plan. Why was 'the wildcard' American coming to Barcelona?

"Aitana!" Lucy shouted my name catching my attention. "Wanna say hi?"

Before I could come up with an excuse I felt my phone buzz. I smiled at my bestfriend's name appearing on the screen. Ona.

"I have to take this." I stood up and hurried away smiling as I answered.

'Hey Aitana.' I smiled wide her voice warming my heart.

"Hey Batlle, what are you up to?"

'I'm in Barcelona today. I'm home.' I knew Ona's arrival was any day now. I couldn't wait for my favorite person to be home.

"Can I see you today?"

'I was hoping you would.'

"Text me when. You know I'll be there." I ended the call and held my phone against my chest. She's home.

"Was that Ona?" I turned around to look at Alexia and gave a small nod. Alexia was such a good role model to both Ona and I. She was rather happy to have the small defender join our team as well.

"I'm glad the two of you get to play together again. I know you missed her." Alexia knew how much I cared about Ona.

"I did indeed. Ona belongs at Barcelona." I looked back down at my shoes a small smile holding onto my face. Again, I was on top of the world because the girl I fell in love with was coming back to me.

All I could hope was nothing could bring me down from there.

(A\N: Short chapter to start things off.)