2019

June 24 2019

Aitana's POV

My palms were sweating as I watched the game. It was the seventy minute. The current score was 1-1. We had the opportunity to beat the best team in the world.

The US Women's National Soccer Team. That's what they call it. Soccer. When it came to women's soccer everyone knew what country was top dog. And it wasn't Brazil or England or France Or Argentina or Spain-It was the United States of America.

The women in red white and blue.

The American squad has been dominant for years. They were trained to a different level in their country. One day I'm going to be as big of a star as all of them.

I smiled tapping the person next to me as the youngest player on their squad McKinley Martin subbed into the game. As a young player on a roster of experienced players it was always cool to see other young players getting to play.

I had seen a few clips of McKinley Martin play. She's clinical and fast. She's not big on the flashy things or tricks. She's efficient and fast. It made her an amazing player.

I couldn't help but keep my eyes on the dueling between Patri and the young American. Both young players showing their true talent. Unfortunately Martin had the upper hand on Patri so far. In Patri's defense the young American had fresh legs opposed to Patri starting the game.

Unfortunately the United States fresh legs led to a penalty and their lead was back. Alexia was subbed out shortly after and joined her spot on the bench next to me.

"Good game Alexia."

"They're a killer squad aren't they." She huffed out looking back on the field.

"McKinley Martin is insane, isn't she? I mean only nineteen years old...its incredible. The US young players are never short of incredible."

"What do you have a crush on her?" Alexia teased me and my face turned red as I quickly shook my head.

"No! I just you know as someone that's young too its cool to see. Gives me hope that soon one day I'll be a starter." Alexia gave me a small smile and squeezed my hand.

"Go meet her after the game. I heard she's nice." Alexia motioned onto the field and I nodded. We all knew there was a high chance we were going to lose to the American squad today. I mean who wasn't losing to them.

They came out their first game and scored 13-0. They're unstoppable but I think we've played pretty well against this potent squad.

"There it is."

The referee blew the final whistle and we were out of the World Cup but we played a hell of a game. Maybe next time. Next time we'll go so much further.

"Are you going to ask for her jersey?"

"You think I should?"

"Why not?" Alexia shrugged as she walked over to Alex Morgan. The two captains exchanged words. I took a minute to build my confidence up.

The young American midfielder celebrating with her teammates. She was so lucky to be nineteen and be on the best team in the world. The number one ranked USA squad.

I finally worked up the courage and made my way across the field. I pulled the substitute vest over my head and walked up to McKinley Martin. The young all star hadn't even realized that I had walked up to her as she talked with Mallory Pugh and Tobin Heath.

"Umm McKinley?"

"Yea?" The girl raised an eyebrow annoyed that I was talking to her and interrupted her conversation.

"Would you mind swapping jerseys with me?"

"Oh uh no I don't really do that. I keep mine." She shrugged it off and walked away a moment later leaving me in the middle of the field embarrassed that I even considered asking her.

"Here." Tobin Heath handed me her jersey as she walked after the young all star.

I just got snubbed by McKinley Martin. Why did that just hurt worse than getting kicked out of the World Cup. Maybe I had more hope of getting that jersey than actually moving through the World Cup.

"You got it?" Alexia walked up to me with a smile but I just exchanged a frown. I held up the Heath jersey and shook my head.

"She blew me off and walked away. She didn't even have the decency to talk to me." I sighed watching the USA number seven walk around hugging her teammates.

"She just won the round of sixteen at nineteen Aitana. She's just keeping it for herself. Some people do that." Alexia tried comforting me but the burning feeling in my chest didn't subside.

One day I'll be so good that she'll be asking for my jersey. She'll be the one who gets snubbed and maybe she'll remember today and how I feel.