Captain

Aitana's POV

"Hey so why the switch up?" I looked over at Ona curious what her question was referring to. Alexia had the same look on her face as me.

"What are you referring to?"

"What caused the switch from hating McKinley to being 'buddies' all of the sudden?" Ona looked at me curiously as she rested her chin on her hand.

"Hmm I have a question for you. What about her has you so interested? Seems like you're giving her more attention than your actual girlfriend." I gave her a small smug smile.

Ona turned me down and she's dating Lucy. Lucy already seems annoyed by the time the two of them spend together. I don't get it. Why would Ona like McKinley? She says she likes Lucy and she is dating her. So what's the reason behind Ona's attention towards the American midfielder?

"I'm not. Why would you say that?"

"Okay! I'm going to step in here." Alexia butted in as the tension of the conversation quickly built up. "Aitana answer Ona's question nicely then Ona answer Aitana's question nicely."

"She came to my house with the jersey from the round of sixteen in 2019. We talked a little then one thing led to another which I invited her to breakfast." I told her as simply as possible.

"I'm not spending more time with McKinley than Lucy. Mick and I are just friends nothing more than that. I'm not sure what's giving off that impression if anything I'm just making sure she's good enou-nevermind." Ona quickly cut off her own sentence and smiled nervously. She only did that when she was hiding something she wasn't supposed to say.

"Oh..."Alexia mumbled as she gave a small nod to Ona. What did I just miss? The two were exchanging eye contact for a few seconds longer before Ona's eyes returned to mine.

"I hate fighting with you. Can we maybe just drop it? I had no ill intent with my original question....okay?" I gave Ona a small nod and she jumped onto my lap and cuddled into me.

"I couldn't be mad at you if I wanted. However I would like for you to finish that statement."

"No can do bestie." I laughed with the younger girl in my arms and shook my head.

"Whatever."

"Ona, were you about to say what I think you were about to say?" Alexia looked at her closely trying to read her facial expressions to answer the question.

"Yes."

"Thank god you didn't."

"You two have to tell me now!" I groaned as the two talked in code.

"Can't."

"Yes you can come on." I protested but it was Alexia. She wouldn't ever let anything slip.

"Umm let's see no."

"Not fair."

"You don't need to know." Ona glanced back at me and smiled.

"I don't like you two sometimes."

"Oh no we know who you like." Alexia smirked and in that moment I realized what they were hinting back and forth at finally. My eyes grew big making Ona burst out laughing.

"I do not like McKinley like that!! Please don't start anything you two!"

"Mmhmm sure you don't." Alexia again teased me and exchanged a look with Ona.

"No no no."

"Yes yes yes." Ona shot back and I could feel that my face was on fire.

"Okay maybe I started to build some feelings towards her but I really did just want to be civil with her. I like being able to talk with everyone on the team. I mean when Alexia is gone the captain position is going to open up and..."

"Aitana that spots yours with or without you and Martin being friends. Besides its not like she has some long contract as of now." I gave a small nod. A small smile also found its way onto my face from the first sentence as well. Alexia just told me that I would be captain of the best team in the world.

"You really think I'll be captain?"

"I do but do you truly believe that the only reason you made up with Mick was so the spot as captain was yours?"

"No..."

"So you do like her?" Ona asked me softly as she crawled out of my lap and took a seat directly next to me.

"I think I do."

"You do." Alexia confirmed for me. An odd feeling twist in my stomach. Almost the same type of anxiousness before big games.

"You're scared?" Ona softly held my hand and I gave a small nod.

"I did get rejected recently."

Ona's face dropped as she looked away upset. I was the one who had the right to be upset. Ona and I have been friends forever. I knew telling her I liked her was a mistake but now I wondered if the issue was that she was dating Lucy already or if she didn't like me back.

"Sorry..."

"You're in a happy relationship. I'm not gonna be mad at you." I rubbed her shoulder softly with a small smile.

"Take this with a grain of salt, but you two would have been a cute couple." Alexia shrugged. Ona and I both nervously looked at each other then back to Alexia.

"Maybe..."

"Sorry that made things awkward. My bad." Alexia laughed a little to herself as she figured away to continue the conversation.

"Did you two start dating after the World Cup? We never really talked about it which is rare for the two of us." I asked Ona curiously.

"Yea after the World Cup. She asked me out and it went from there I suppose."

"Cute I'm glad you're happy Ona."

"Well as long as the two of you are still friends everything is good. Things would be so weird to not see the two of you together as friends still. I mean everyone knows its always been Aitana and Ona." Alexia smiled as her dog jumped up into her lap.

"And what would we both be without Alexia more of la madre versus la reina to us." Ona and I smiled at our biggest role model.

I need to talk to Alexia about plenty of things but I would much rather do them alone. Because half of the things on my mind have to do with Ona.