Sprain

Aitana's POV

"Ona I just want to be left alone tonight." I sighed looking down at the boot on my foot. Ona agreed and hung up the phone shortly after. I know that she was just worried about me but I wanted space.

I can't believe I fractured my ankle. I've been playing so well and now all of that comes to a halt because of a stupid mistimed move. I'm just glad I didn't screw up Ona's chances at making a good impression for Jonatan while Fridolina is out as well. She's been playing so well. The sting to all of this is that the team is going to be perfectly fine without me there.

I love playing soccer so much and now I have to wait a few weeks until I can know when I'll be back. The coaches said it was minor but I don't trust that. I tend to overthink things but something about this injury felt worse.

I was ripped out of my thought when I heard a soft knock at the door. Damn it Ona I said I wanted to be left alone. I hopped over to the door and sighed as I opened it.

"Hey..." McKinley stood there with a bag and a pity filled look on her face.

"What are you doing here?"

"You owed me a date tonight...but after everything that happened today I figured I'd bring by your favorite gelato." She held up the bag shyly.

"Thanks McKinley." I stuck my hand out for the bag with a smile on my face.

"You didn't have to do that, but I appreciate it." I began to step back but paused.

"Would you like to come in?" I opened the door wider and she smiled wide.

"I would love to." She made her way past me but came back over picking me up and carrying me back over to my couch. I giggled as she set me down and looked up at her.

"You need to stay off your feet." She walked into my kitchen and grabbed two spoons.

"Here. We are going to watch whatever you want and eat this yummy gelato." I nodded at the plan as I put something on tv and she took a seat a foot away from me.

"Here I was telling Ona I didn't want to be around anyone tonight."

"We already had plans. I'm not letting you out of them even if I didn't get to take you to the place I had originally planned for tonight." She placed her spoon in the gelato and looked up at me with a small smile.

"And where exactly was that?"

"You'll have to wait and find out."

"And why is that?"

"I meant it."

"What?" I looked at her confused.

"I actually want to take you on a date Aitana. We can act like there's not something there and I can leave or we can enjoy tonight and then I can take you on a actual date." I swallowed the lump in my throat as I looked into her eyes.

"I like you McKinley and it scares me."

"Let's just take it one step at a time then. So maybe everything will be a little less scary." She held out her hand and I gently connected ours.

"I appreciate you coming to see me and cheer me up after my injury." I blushed as she rubbed her thumb over my hand.

"I'm glad I'm cheering you up." A small content smile sat on her face.

"I'm glad you are too." I pressed play on the tv as we sat in silence. Occasionally stealing a glance at each other as we ate the gelato. Even after that ended I kept finding myself looking over at her.

After a while she got up and took the trash to my kitchen then made her way back over. This time she took a seat much closer. I felt the couch dip next to me as she sat down. So I leaned into her side.

"How are you feeling? Does your ankle hurt?" I shook my head softly.

"I can't feel it."

"Sorry Aitana...if it means anything atleast you have a half decent replacement."

"Oh and who would that be?" I asked her sarcastically.

"You know I think its some dumb American Barcelona decided to sign this offseason." She smiled big at me as I shook my head.

"I don't think she's stupid."

"You don't?"

"I think she's kind of great."

"Maybe one day she'll be brilliant like you." I blushed a little at the compliment. She actually respected me as a soccer player.

"Maybe when I'm healed I'll show you some tricks." I smiled looking up at her lips.

"I'd like that." She smiled and leaned back a little bit after she caught me staring. My bad...

"Sorry." I let out a light giggle.

"Don't be, but I'd like to wait. Like I said I want to do things right and take you on an actual date."

"Hmm I'm too shy to kiss you yet anyways." I told her boldly slightly shocked that I got that sentence out.

"So you were about to kiss me?" She asked me with a small smirk.

"I was thinking about it."

"Hmm that's why you were looking at my lips for the past few minutes." She smirked and I shook my head.

"As I said I was thinking about it."

"Mmhmm whatever you say Bonmati."

"I said thinking about it!!" I rushed out in a slight panic making her laugh.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure?" She looked at me confused on where this was going but my mind kept traveling back to when Leah and Lia were at her place.

"What are Lia and Leah to you?"

"Leah is like my annoying older sister and I jokingly call her my soccer mom. Lia Waelti has always been my offical soccer mom. She's always been there for me. They just came to visit since I'm closer now."

"So close friends?"

"Yeah-did you think? No no no I'm not pulling an Ona and dating girls that much older than me. I prefer a two year gap max. I like to date in my age range." She laughed at me as if the question was stupid.

"Oh okay, good." I nodded slightly embarrassed I thought they were anything more.

"Enough talking though I was half way interested in what you were playing." I smiled as I returned my eyes to the screen and pressed play. Maybe a sprained ankle couldn't completely ruin my day.