Comets shine brighter than stars

Lyn didn't know if it was a good thing or a bad thing that she slept for the first time in days

Lyn didn't know if it was a good thing or a bad thing that she slept for the first time in days. She knew her body needed it, even if it wasn't a lot, but her dreams had not been kind to her. It had started like it always did: she was in the car with her parents while they were drowning. But this time, it had ended differently. As her parents' bodies had gone limp, hers had not; usually, she died in these dreams. The only normal thing about that night had been when she shot up from bed gasping and covered in sweat.

Because of this, when she showered, grief was not the only emotion she hoped to burn away in the scalding water. This time, it was accompanied by guilt, a guilt so strong she didn't know if she would've been able to bear it had she woken up any later. The guilt was still there as she ate breakfast, still there when she made coffee for Jeremy, and still there as she waited for him to get up. And she still didn't know why. Not even thirty minutes later, footsteps were approaching as Jeremy walked down the stairs, trying and failing to be stealthy. It was the time in the morning when usually only Emalyn was up due to her unhealthy sleep patterns. "Morning," Lyn said, leaning against the stair railing while Jeremy tried to sneak out the front door.

"My god!" He nearly jumped out of his skin at the sight of her.

"So, where are you going?" She drawled as she stared at him with a smug smirk.

"Uh-um," He began to stutter. Lyn simply chuckled and rolled her eyes in response.

"Relax." She soothed. "I made you coffee." The thermos was then shoved into Jeremy's hands. He smiled at her and then, after a moment of contemplation, a quick hug before he was off to the hospital. Lyn then retreated back up to her room. She was rereading Pride and Prejudice for about the hundredth time when she heard Elena knock on her door. "Coming," she called, stuffing her book in her bag and running out the door. Jenna stopped them just as they were about to go downstairs.

"Do I look adult? As in respectfully parental?"

"Depends on where you're going," Elena said.

"Jeremy's parent-teacher conference." Lyn rolled her eyes as Jenna went to check her look in the mirror. She knew that Jeremy wouldn't get a good review, but she also knew she didn't really give a damn.

"Hair up or down?" Jenna asked, turning to the two and holding her hair up.

"Sexy stewardess," Elena responded. Jenna dropped her hair.

"Boosy housewife," Elena added.

"Up it is. You're feisty today."

"I feel good. Which is rare, so I've decided to go with it, fly free, walk on sunshine and all that stuff." Emalyn had to agree. Elena looked visibly better and happier than she had for the past four months. "Where is Jeremy?" Lyn kept her poker face sharp when Elena asked.

"Oh, he left early. Something about getting to woodshop early to finish a birdhouse." Elena made a face, and Lyn mentally face-palmed at her brother's stupidity.