Every street whispers tails of unease

Lyn lay on her bed, curled into a fetal position

Lyn lay on her bed, curled into a fetal position. Jenna had called her out of school, and she had spent most of the past two days in the same position she was in now. She knew that Jenna was worried about her; she had not come out of her room for meals, only making trips to the bathroom when absolutely necessary.

She didn't know what to do. She didn't even know why this was affecting her so much. Lyn knew who her family was, and deep down, she knew that this didn't change anything. A knock on her door snapped her out of her spiral. The door squeaked open, and Lyn saw Caroline pop her head into the room. "Lyn?" Lyn lifted her head a bit and gave Caroline a weak smile. Caroline's frown only deepened, and she moved to sit next to where Lyn had buried herself under the blankets. "Lyn, what's wrong?" Caroline asked gently. Lyn lifted the blanket in an invitation for Caroline to join her. Caroline smiled and scooted under the duvet.

"I'm adopted." She whispered, cursing the tears that formed at the edges of her eyes. It was a show of Caroline's growth that all she did was blink in surprise.

"Oh..." She exclaimed, not really knowing what to do with that information. "How are you doing with that?" She asked. Lyn just shook her head. If Lyn had been as alert as she usually was, she would've recognized the look of determination that came across Caroline's face. Practically jumping out of bed, Caroline dragged the blankets off Lyn's form.

"No...no," She protested when she felt the warmth the blankets had provided slipping away.

"Oh, yes." Caroline declared. "You are Emalyn Gilbert, and you are not a sulker. You are a badass bitch who doesn't give up, so you're going to get up, and we're going shopping." She announced. Caroline practically dragged Lyn out of bed and forced her into the shower. For that, Lyn was thankful as she suddenly remembered why she enjoyed showering so much. The hot water almost tuned out the constant pang in her heart.

She exited the bathroom with a towel wrapped tightly around her frame. On her bed lay a blue camisole with a leather jacket, a pair of flair jeans, and a pair of Converse to finish the look. She turned to Caroline, who was grinning proudly at her masterpiece. "Okay, so I'm thinking we go down the shops on Main Street before hitting the grill for lunch because Jenna told me you haven't eaten in, like, forever, and then we finish off by going to my house to fill you in on what you missed for cheerleading." Caroline proposed, and from the look on her face, Lyn could tell that she was not going to take no for an answer. Letting out a small, genuine smile, Lyn nodded.

"Well then, we don't have time to waste." She agreed. Caroline clapped with joy, and the two headed off.

🏘🏘🏘

Despite her previous hesitance, Lyn ended up having a good time with Caroline. They arrived back at the Gilbert residence around 5:30. "Thanks for today, Care." She said gratefully as she wrapped Caroline in a hug.

"Of course, Lyn," Caroline reassured her, returning the hug. Lyn waved goodbye to Caroline and turned around, only to jump out of her skin at the sight of Jeremy.