5. One more chance

Darius

I sat alone in my office, still feeling the lingering sting of the recent separation. My desk was cluttered with papers, but I couldn't muster the concentration to focus on the pack's affairs. Confusion and guilt swirled within me. Why did I feel this pang of sadness after rejecting Elena? I had done what was right for myself and my future, but my heart ached nonetheless.

My contemplation was abruptly interrupted by the familiar ringtone of my phone. I glanced at the screen to see it was a call from my grandmother, Serena. My heart skipped a beat. Why was she calling? Had Elena already told her about our separation? Was she calling to scold me for my decision? Grandma and I rarely spoke, so this unexpected call left me on edge.

I hesitated for a moment before answering, my voice tinged with apprehension. "If you're going to scold me..."

My words trailed off when I heard Grandma's sobs on the other end of the line. Panic surged within me. "No, no, I'm not calling to scold you," she managed to say amidst tears.

My concern deepened. "Grandma, is everything alright? Are you okay?"

"Elena, it's Elena," she sobbed, struggling to speak.

Dread settled in the pit of my stomach. "What happened to her?" I asked, my voice filled with worry.

"She fell unconscious. She has been rushed to the Pack's hospital," Grandma explained, her voice trembling with emotion. "Why did you do this to her? You could have considered her unborn baby."

My heart pounded as I realized the gravity of the situation. "I'm coming to the pack's hospital right away," I declared, already standing and grabbing my keys.

I was on the verge of leaving when the office door swung open, and Sarah walked in. She approached me, offering a comforting hug. "You did the right thing, Alpha Darius. It's better for everyone."

I couldn't afford to dwell on this right now. "Sarah, not now," I snapped, my mind consumed by concern for Elena.

"Is there a problem?" Sarah asked, her confusion evident.

"Elena has been rushed to the hospital. She fainted," I explained urgently.

Sarah's expression shifted to one of concern, I thought. "Are you going to see her?" she inquired.

"Yes, I am," I replied without hesitation, my thoughts solely focused on Elena's well-being.

"But your mum sent for you, and she said it's important," Sarah told me.

I paused, torn between my mother's summons and Elena's critical condition. "Nothing is more important than my Luna," I stated firmly, my loyalty still tethered to Elena, despite our separation.

"She is not your Luna anymore," Sarah pointed out, her tone gentle but firm.

The weight of those words hit me like a ton of bricks. Elena wasn't my Luna anymore. I had momentarily forgotten that fact in my rush to be by her side.

"Now, your mum or Elena?" Sarah asked cautiously, recognizing the internal struggle I was facing.

I took a deep breath, a mix of guilt and uncertainty gnawing at me. "Why is my mum calling me?"

"I don't know, dear Darius," Sarah replied, her concern evident. "but I'm very certain it is important."

I sighed, the weight of responsibility pressing down on me from all sides. "Tell my mum I'll be with her shortly," I decided, choosing to honor her request.

Sarah nodded and gave me a smile before leaving the office.

As I made my way toward the Packhouse, conflicting emotions churned within me. Elena's well-being was my immediate concern, but my mother's cryptic message added to my growing list of worries.

I parked my car outside the Packhouse and stepped out, my thoughts racing as I approached the entrance. There, my mother stood, waiting for me.

"Son, I've been waiting for you," she called out as I approached.

I nodded in acknowledgment. "Good day, Mum. What was so important that you asked me to come?"

A hopeful gleam shone in her eyes as she placed a hand on my cheek. "Son, the witch Liliana foretold me of your future. You will have a bright and beautiful future with your fated mate and beautiful children. I'm so happy."

I couldn't hide my disappointment. "Mum, is this the important thing you wanted to tell me?" I asked, my paranoia growing.

"Son, isn't this important to you?" Mum asked, her voice gentle as she held my gaze. "Why do you look sad and heartbroken?"

My heart ached with guilt as I considered the turmoil Elena was going through. "Mum," I said hesitantly, "it's because of Elena. I've hurt her so much. She's in the hospital because of me. What if the unborn baby is harmed?"

My mother's response was unequivocal. "Don't be stupid, son. You did the right thing. She's not your fated mate. You deserve to be with your fated mate, Darius. I'm your mum, and I care so much about you."

Her words offered a bittersweet comfort, but they couldn't erase the guilt I felt for the pain I had caused Elena. My mother's support was a reminder that, despite the difficult decisions I had to make, I had a family that cared for me.

"I've prepared your best food, son," mum said, holding my hand. "Let's go in."

"Grandma is waiting for me, mum," I said, vaguely. "I have to make sure that Elena is fine."

"She's fine, Darius. She's no more your priority. You have your fated mate, Sarah. She's the only one you should care about."

"What about the unborn child?"

Mum smiled. "You'll have many children with Sarah."

My phone started ringing. I glanced at it. It was grandma calling again.

"Grandma is calling," I told mum.

"You don't have to answer the call, son."

I looked my phone. The call persisted. "I'm sure it is important."

I answered the call. "Hello grandma Serena."

"Where are you, Darius? Elena needs you right now."

My mum collected the phone from me. "Hello Serena. Why are you bothering my son?"

"Elena is in the hospital and my grandson needs to be by her side."

"Do you want to ruin my son's life the way you ruined my father-in-law's life? Don't ever call my son again."

"You cannot stop me from talking to my grandson," Grandma said abruptly.

Mum gave me the phone.

"Darius, don't you feel pit for poor Elena? What about the child, who will one day, be subjected to the hurt and fear and humiliation him and his mother, had suffered. Poor little baby. It's up to you, Darius, to be with Elena and the unborn baby now they need you the most. Are you coming?"

I glanced at mum, then at the phone.