Chapter 8: Disappointed

Grandma Serena

It's been a day since my granddaughter went missing. Holding her picture frame, I gazed out the window, reminiscing about how she once braved the rain to bring me my medication, despite getting soaked and catching a cold. I pleaded with her to change into dry clothes and rest, but she insisted on cooking for me and ensuring I took my drugs. How could my son be so heartless, rejecting Elena after all she had done for him?

Did Darius even know that Elena was missing? I had asked him to come to the hospital, but he didn't. Was he harboring so much hatred for her? I needed to visit him; my grandson had never been this heartless. Although we were never very close, I knew him, having watched him grow up. He was a good boy, raised well by my late husband's sister in Africa. So, what had changed him?

Placing Elena's frame back on the table, I decided to pay a visit to Darius. Even if he didn't want anything to do with Elena, he had to help gather some pack warriors to search for her.

"Maxwell, dear, take me to the Packhouse right now," I instructed.

"Of course, ma. I'll get the car ready," he replied before leaving.

I retrieved my walking stick and followed suit. In no more than thirty minutes, we arrived at the Packhouse. Maxwell opened the car door, and I stepped out. "You can wait here, Maxwell. I'll call you when I need you."

"Of course, Grandma Serena," he acknowledged with a respectful bow.

I nodded and made my way into the Packhouse. The maids and guards respectfully greeted me, their heads bowed. I responded to their greetings and asked, "Where's your Alpha?"

"He's in his study room, Grandma. I'll go and inform him of your arrival."

"No, don't. I will do it myself," I replied with a smile and continued my walk.

Approaching Darius's study room, I noticed the door was slightly ajar, and I caught a glimpse of Darius kissing a lady. Who was she? Without hesitation, I pushed the door open, and they stopped abruptly, displaying panic.

"How could you, Darius?" I exclaimed, unable to believe my eyes. I looked at the lady, and to my astonishment, it was Sarah. "Sarah? Oh, Moon Goddess. After everything Elena did for you, Darius, this is how you repay her."

Sarah approached me, with a glint of happiness in her eyes. She extended her hand. "I'm so sorry for not introducing myself earlier. I am Alpha Darius's fated mate and the future Luna of this Pack, as well as the future mother of the pack's heir. I am what your precious Elena couldn't be."

"So, you are the reason for her rejection?"

"I hate to admit it, but she truly deserved it," Sarah asserted.

"She nearly lost her life and the life of her unborn baby. Don't you have a heart in that hard chest of yours?"

"I don't, and I wished she and her unborn baby had died-"

I lost my temper and slapped her. "You can never replace Elena. You won't even offer half of what she did. You're delusional. Don't dream too much; the heir of this Pack will return."

"You dare slap the future Luna of this pack..." she began but retaliated with a slap of her own.

I had never been so insulted. My grandson just stood there, watching. "Darius... You watched her slap me and you remain silent?"

"Sarah, you shouldn't have-"

"You shouldn't have slapped her first," Luna Catherine interjected from behind. "You received what you gave."

I turned to Catherine. "You are the most wicked mother in the world. You want to ruin your son, to keep him dancing to your tune, so no one can replace you in this pack."

"How dare you?"

"No, how dare you be this heartless-"

"Grandma, that's enough! Please leave," Darius snarled.

I glared at Catherine. "I know you were jealous of Elena because she was winning the hearts of every pack member. Because she was good and cared for the pack and the pack members reciprocated her love."

Catherine started to shed fake tears. "How could you say this to me, mother-in-law? I knew you never liked me."

"Mum," Darius said, rushing to her side. "Mum, please don't cry."

"I have come to only talk with you, Darius. It is very important..."

"They are my family, so say whatever you have to say here," Darius said firmly.

And how could I not miss Elena, when she was the only one who cared for me? She was the only family I had; the rest treated me poorly. My own son distanced himself from me, and now my grandson. I fought back the tears in my eyes. If only Elena were here. "Elena has gone missing. I pleaded with you to come to the hospital. This was the time she needed you the most, but you didn't show up, and now she is missing. What if she gets kidnapped? What if someone harms her and her unborn baby?"

"Unborn baby, unborn baby, unborn baby, my foot. That baby is not my son's baby. And my son has his fated mate who will give birth to the heir of this pack. Can you just stop trying to be a matchmaker?" Catherine yelled.

"Please, Darius, come with me. Let's look for Elena," I begged. "It's been a day since she went missing."

"He doesn't care. Get out. Stop trying to ruin my son's life," Catherine snapped.

I waited for Darius to speak.

"I'm sorry, but I can't go with you. I have to attend to a couple of pack affairs."

"Are they more important than Elena's safety?" I asked.

He didn't respond.

"Then gather some pack warriors to go with me in search of Elena."

"They can't abandon their work because of someone who has rejected this pack," Catherine snapped again.

I wished I could sew her lips together, so she would stop spouting nonsense.

"I agree with Mum," Darius said. "I'm sorry."

I felt more sorry for him than he did. "You should be sorry, really sorry, because you will regret letting Elena down. You will want her back, but I hope it won't be too late." I looked at Catherine and smiled. "I will look for her myself, and I won't stop until I find her."

"That's good for your mental health," Catherine said.

I chuckled. "This pack already has an heir and a Luna. You will lose your position in this pack before you know it, Catherine. Watch out for that day. It won't be too long, Catherine."

I knew that was enough to break her spirit, and it did. Her face twisted into a smug, ferocious mask.

I turned and left, very disappointed at my grandson.