12: Bittered

Alpha Darius's POV

(Note: To help my readers, I have decide to post some chapters here. Happy reading, readers. I love you. Mwah.)

"Can I sit with you?" I inquired.

Justin looked up, recognizing me. "Alpha Darius! Certainly, have a seat," he welcomed.

"Thank you," I replied, settling down. "About your mum, she has changed a lot. She has transformed into a resilient force."

"Meaning she's become a resolute and fearless leader over the years?" Justin questioned, locking eyes with me.

"Exactly. You're quite perceptive," I complimented, patting his head.

"Thanks to my mum and dad," he smiled.

I tried so hard to hold back the tears forming in my eyes. I knew he was my son but he didn't know I was his father. How could Elena let him think Killian was his real father? Was this to have her revenge on me for rejecting her and him? Isn't this worst compared to mine? Does Elena want to deprive me of my son? He's still my son, Elena. Isn't this a greater punishment than my sin?

"Justin," Elena called, interrupting my thoughts. "I've been searching for you. I've warned you about talking to strangers."

Justin stood up. "Mom, I was just having a conversation with him. He's not a stranger, he's a nice man," he defended.

Elena looked at me. And looking into her eyes, I could remember the tears she shed during the rejection period. Her pleas for the sake of Justin. Her fears that something bad may happen to her unborn child after the rejection. Elena glared at me. Despite her strength, fear flickered in her eyes, afraid I might take Justin away. I knew she would do anything to keep Justin away from me, and to secure Justin from me. After all, I was a monster in her eyes.

"Stay away from my son," she warned. "He's my son and his safety is my priority." She took hold of her son's hand.

I stood up. "I just wanted to get to know him."

"Ask his parents, especially his mom, for permission," she snapped, her motherly instinct on high alert.

"I apologize," I said slowly.

She insisted. "It's easy to say a meaningless sorry. Keep your sorry to yourself and leave my son alone."

"He's my—"

"Justin, go inside," she ordered. "We'll talk later."

Justin nodded. "Don't be too harsh to him. He is a good man. Daddy would never be this rude to anyone."

"Justin, please go inside," she repeated slowly.

He rushed indoors.

She slowly turned to look at me. "The last time I checked, we never had a son together, so please don't ever try to claim Justin as your son, because he isn't."

"You were pregnant before leaving the pack—"

"Forgetful of my infidelity, right? Oh, how easy for you to forget that the child was as a result of my so-called infidelity..."

"Elena, don't deprive Justin of his real father."

She cleared her throat. "Tell me the truth, if you had children with sarah, you wouldn't be bothered if Justin was yours or not, right? You just need a heir for your pack," then she gave out a mocking laugh. "You're a very heartless man. What about grandma? Over the years, I saw how you treated her, like she was a piece of crap."

Tears welled up in my eyes, breaking through the carefully constructed walls around my emotions.

"Grandma was so sick and yet, you never cared," she added. "Or perhaps, you were just dancing to your mother's tune, just like your father? Justin is not your son. He's very different from you. Can't you see, Justin is a good, kind, sweet and loving boy just like Killian?"

My heart, once a fortress, crumbles in the face of overwhelming vulnerability.

"Do yourself the favor and get out of here? And stop stalking my son. Go back to Sarah, she is your fated mate after all. You chose her over me and my son," she asserted.

"I had no choice then—"

"And you don't now. If you bother my son again, I'll get a restraining order," she threatened. "And I mean it."

"You can punish me in any way, but please don't keep Justin away from me," I pleaded desperately.

"I almost lost my son because of you. I've risked my womb, Darius. I may never be able to give birth again. Now, tell me whose punishment is worse."

"I still love you, Elena," I confessed, cupping her face.

"You don't have to stoop so low. You are ready to say anything just to get Justin, aren't you? Well, I love Killian and he means everything to me. When I gave up on myself, Killian never gave up on me."

"What's going on here?" Killian asked, approaching us. He hugged Elena and asked, "Is there a problem?"

I nodded and smiled. "No, I was just telling Darius how much I love you and the family we have. I was advising him to be patient with his wife and that one day, she will bear him a child."

"That's sweet of you. I've been looking for you everywhere. Justin is sad when he isn't supposed to be. Today is a big day for him, and he's supposed to be happy. Did you scold him?" Killian inquired.

"I saw him talking with Darius, and I told him to be careful of strangers. He said Darius is a nice man, not a stranger. I guess he is mad that I asked him to go in. I was just making him understand that you can't judge a book by its cover," Elena explained, smiling at me. "Right, Killian?"

"Of course, sweetie," he replied. To me, he said, "Let me show you around, Darius."

"Thank you, but I have to go home now."

.
"Okay. Thank you for coming, Alpha Darius. I'm glad you met my son, and I'm extremely happy that you both got to know each other. Justin really likes you," Killian said, extending his hand for a handshake.

I shook his hand. "You're a good father to him, and I'm glad."

"That's how much I love him," Killian said smiling.

"Killian, I will say my goodbye to him and join you soon," Elena said with a smile.

"Alright," he agreed, placing a tender kiss on her forehead before going inside.

"That's it, go away. We are happy," Elena declared, smiling widely, and turned to leave.

"Elena, can I.. Can I see Justin for the last time before I go?" I asked.

"Even if you kneel down and beg me from now till eight years later, you won't see a glimpse of him. So, just get out."

Bittered, my form receded into the dark, leaving behind Elena.