6. Captured

Elena

I could smell something strange when I regained consciousness. It was either the sterile scent of carbolic acid or the distracting aroma of flowers. Confusion enveloped me; the last thing I remembered was the searing pain of rejection, or was it just a tormenting dream? Slowly, I opened my eyes, only to be met with another pair of eyes staring back at me.

"Doctor, she's awake," the woman standing over me announced.

My surroundings came into focus, and I realized I was in the Pack hospital. Panic welled up inside me as I turned to see my Grandma Serena sleeping nearby. The memories of what had happened before my loss of consciousness flooded back, and my heart ached. I couldn't help but reach for my stomach, praying that my unborn child was safe in there.

"Hello," I recognized the voice of Doctor Arnold. "How are you feeling, Luna Elena... Sorry, I mean Elena, how are you feeling?"

It was clear he knew about my rejection, but right now, my primary concern was my unborn child's well-being.

"How's my baby?" I choked out through tears.

"Your son is doing just fine. You did put him in danger, but thanks to the moon goddess, she saved his life-" Doctor Arnold began.

"I want to be discharged now," I interrupted, struggling to hold back my emotions. This Pack didn't feel like home anymore; I had lost my connection to it. I glanced at Grandma Serena, still peacefully sleeping. My predicament had undoubtedly taken a toll on her fragile health, and guilt gnawed at me.

I had to leave this hospital before she woke up. I had to escape this Pack, go far away.

"I'm sorry, you can't be discharged. Your health is deteriorating. You can only be discharged next week," Doctor Arnold warned.

Determined to leave, I ripped the wires connected to me. "I'm sorry, Doctor, but you can't stop me."

"What do we do now?" a nurse asked, panic in her voice.

Whatever they planned, I prayed it wouldn't wake Grandma Serena.

"I need to use the restroom," I declared abruptly.

"Please don't run away," Doctor Arnold pleaded. "Shirley, escort her to the restroom."

As I made my way to the restroom, I hatched a daring escape plan. There, I noticed an old window. Using an iron stick beside the bathtub, I managed to pry it open. I peered outside; it wasn't too high for a pregnant woman to jump from. Just as Shirley's voice approached, I climbed out and let go, landing with a painful whimper. My legs and back screamed in protest as I limped away from the hospital.

I found refuge in a nearby tea shop, seeking solace in a simple cup of tea and some bread.

"Luna Elena? I'm so glad you paid a visit to our shop. Please sit," a man said, gesturing his statement.

"Thank you so much. Please give me tea and soft bread," I said after yawning. "I'm so famished."

"Get her tea, Gabrielle," he said to the lady beside him.

She served me tea and soft bread. "You're pregnant, my Luna. And it's a boy. I can foretell your future, Elena."

I looked up at her and held back my tears. "Don't," I muttered. It was of no use. What could the future have for a rejected person like me? I had to find a way to survive for me and my unborn child.

"Your son will be the heir of two Packs. He will be like his father," the lady insisted, but I couldn't bear to entertain such predictions. I abruptly left the teashop, my resolve firm.

How can my unborn child be like a man who rejected him?

"Luna, why are you leaving all of a sudden?" the man asked from behind. "You haven't drank the tea."

"Thank you, but I have to go," I yelled and began walking away.

I wandered off to the Pack's boarder. At the border of the Pack's territory, I looked back, memories of how I came to this Pack, the time with Alpha Darius, and the searing rejection flooded my mind. With a heavy heart, I turned away, determined to carve out a new future away from the Pack that had once been my home.

Night was fast approaching, and I didn't know where I was. I was in middle of nowhere. I needed somewhere to rest.

I heard footsteps approaching. I hid behind a tree.

"Who's there?" a voice asked.

I tried my best not to make any sound.

"I think it's a woman," another voice said.

I became so scared. "Oh Moon goddess, protect me and my unborn child," I prayed. What do I do now? Where do I run to?

"How do you know it's a woman?" The man asked the other.

"I can smell the scent of a woman. A pregnant woman," the other man said.

I slowly leaned out of the tree I was leaning on and went to another one.

"Let's go nearer and check," the other man said.

Go nearer? What if they find me? What will they do to me? Will they kill me? I was too weak to run. I slowly fell to the ground, giving up on running. Whatever my fate was, so be it.

"Who are you?" a man asked.

I looked up at them. I was too scared to speak.

"Are you a spy?" he asked again.

"She must certainly be a spy," the other guy said. "We have to arrest her and take her into the Pack for investigation."

"Stand up," the man commanded.

I slowly stood up, holding my waist because of its ache. They both seized me. Where are they taking me to, I wondered. Will they kill me?

We all began walking. Everywhere had become dark, although these men had put on their torchlight. My leg hit a stone and I fell. I gave a painful sigh.

"What happened? Why did you suddenly fall, lady?"

The other man flashed the torch on my leg. "She's bleeding," he said.

"Then carry her, Lucas."

"You don't have to shout, Andrew," Lucas snapped, as he picked me up from the ground and carried me.

"Put me down, please. Where are you guys taking me to?" I cried out.

"It's late. We will take her to Alpha Killian tomorrow-"

Alpha Killian? Wasn't he the most feared Alpha in the country? He would definitely kill me, if he saw me.

"I thought you said she's pregnant. We can't keep her with the rest of the prisoners."

"We will keep her with the female slaves, then," Andrew said.

I prayed to the Moon goddess to keep me and my baby safe. I remembered Grandma Serena. She must be worried sick about me. I felt really bad for her. My fate would be decided by tomorrow.