#29 - And A Moon Like Me

Namjoon's POV

"And I love you," She says. "I needed you to know that."

Her voice echoes all around me, and watching her walk away hurts. I hate that I had to do it, but what choice did I have?

I belong up here. It's my job. My responsibility. Being the moon is my top priority because without me? The world would look a lot different.

People would be different. They'd act differently. It may not seem like anything would change, but it will.

They make wishes on me every night, ask me of things I can and can't do. I always try my best to grant them by either going down to earth myself or sending one of my stars.

I'm supposed to help humans, not fall in love with one.

Now, I've been around for a very, very long time. And throughout all those years, I've never known someone like her.

People come, and people go. Humans are weird like that. The funny thing is, I have a feeling she's going to be around in my head for a while.

The thing is, a human like her and a moon like me would never work.

It's been a few days since I left Narae. I haven't gone to see her, because it'll only be harder.

And now I'm just sitting here, in this random place. I have no idea what it is, but for some reason, there are loads of multi-coloured fishes in lots of water tanks.

The lighting in here isn't very good either; I can barely see anything except for the fishes! But it's okay, I'm better at seeing in the dark.

"Sorry sir, but we're closing soon."

Blinking back to reality, I turn to look at the worker now stood beside me.

"Oh, right, my apologies. I must've lost track of time."

"That's okay. I do too sometimes," The man nods, eyeing the large fish tank in front of me. "They're beautiful, aren't they?"

"Indeed," I smile. "It makes me kinda jealous. They have no worries in the world, those little things. Just swimming around as they please in this..." I trail off, hoping he'll tell me what this place is.

"Aquarium?"

"Yes! That's the word," I don't actually know if that's the word. I'm just assuming he's correct.

Then I pause, looking up at the worker. "Can I ask you something?"

I can tell that's the last thing he wanted me to say. His eyes avert to his watch on his wrist, then let's out a sigh.

"Sure, but make it quick," He nods, listening.

"What do you do when you feel like you've lost something?"

The man blinks, clearly not expecting me to ask that. Probably thought I was gonna ask about the fish.

"Something...or someone?" He tilts his head.

Raising an eyebrow, I examine the man. Read his mind, should I say. He knows this look all too well, apparently.

"I know that look all too well," He presses his lips together. See? Told you.

"Whatever it is you're going through, or whatever you've done, there's always a solution to fix it. Even if it takes longer than you want, it'll be worth it in the end," He then says.

"But what if there is no solution?" I frown. "What if this is how it's to be, and I'm going to be alone forever?"

"I thought I'd be alone forever too," He comments. "But then along came my girl, and she more or less saved me. Now we're thinking of moving away to a quieter city."

"Really?" My eyes squint as I warmly grin. "That's great."

"Thanks. But my point is," The man stills. "It always works out in the end, sir."

"Call me Namjoon," Standing to my feet, I lay my hand on his shoulder. "And thank you for your kind words."

"You're welcome," He smiles, a little confused from the sudden thanking.

Taking in a breath, I begin to walk out. Maybe he's right; maybe it will all work out in the end. I know I've been lucky in the past, but I'm not sure if it'll work in this situation.

"Wait, sir- I mean, Namjoon?" The man calls after me.

I swivel around, just as I'm about to push the door open.

"There's this saying that I go by," He begins. "Whenever I'm feeling down or hopeless."

Remaining silent, I wait to hear whatever saying he's talking about. I don't even know what a saying is.

"Shoot for the moon. And even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars."

Now my smile grows even more, and I lightly nod. I can feel my heart doing this weird thing - it's like some sort of...warm feeling?

"Take care of yourself, Yoongi."

Yoongi's slightly taken aback, eyebrows furrowed from the sound of his name casually rolling off my tongue.

The name Narae gave to him, in which he'll never know she did.

"How did you-"

"Your name tag."

"Oh, right," He awkwardly chuckles, looking down at the tag pinned on his shirt. "Well, uh, you take care too."

Then I leave him standing there, the coolness of the night hitting my skin as I walk out.

Wandering down the street, I end up sitting in some random park. I probably look really sketchy, but nothing can happen to me. I'm the moon, after all.

Looking up at the faux full moon before me, I can't help but become intrigued. Because as humans pass by and look up, they assume that's the real moon up there. They think nothing of it.

Whereas I can see straight through it. It looks completely different from me and yet, no-one will ever know the difference.

"There you are," A familiar voice speaks from behind.

I know what he's here for. But I just need a little more time to clear my head.

"I'll be up in a second, Six," I faintly reply.

"That's not what I was gonna say," Taehyung replies.

My head turns to see the five of them standing before me. Sighing, I stand and approach the stars.

"We don't like seeing you like this," Hoseok indicates to myself with his hand. "All sulky and...what's that word humans use?"

"Depressed?"

"Gloomy?"

"Miserable?"

Hoseok's slightly taken aback from the sudden words being thrown at him, and he holds back a laugh as I groan.

"All of the above," He laughs.

"So we're willing to grant you what you want," Jimin then speaks up. "You've done so much for us, all these years. Let us do something for you for once."

"Like what?"

"Give you what you want," Jin repeats Jimin's words.

They know what I want, yet they also know I can't have it. Where is this going exactly?

"If I get what I want, I won't be able to remember anything," I point out the obvious.

"That's what we wanted to talk to you about," Jungkook smiles, but it's not a soft smile.

No, it's a smile that tells me he knows something. In fact, all of them have the same look on their faces.

"Go ahead, read our minds," Jungkook then says, knowing I'm the only one that can read a star's thoughts.

And as I do, I'm suddenly overwhelmed with emotions I didn't even know existed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One more chapter left!