#28 - A Human Like You

"So, what do we do now?"

The two of us are sat on my roof, watching the sun go down and the moon go up. Well, fake moon. The really one's sat right here.

The other stars went back up to the sky, as they didn't want to be around. Knowing that their once closest friend is here, not having a clue who they are, they decided they needed space.

I did urge Namjoon to go too as I know he's sad about Yoongi leaving aswell. But he insisted he stayed.

"Should probably start by giving you this," He hands me a small rectangular box. When I open it, I recongise the content in an instant.

"About time you got me a new phone," I laugh, taking it out.

"It's not new. It's yours," He replies. "I fixed it."

"Oh," I'm about to question it, but the answer is way too obvious. "With your powers, I'm assuming. Which is ironic because it broke because of your powers in the first place."

Namjoon nods in agreement. "I figured it be the last good deed I did while I'm still here."

I'm about to brush off his words, but I can't help replay them in my head.

My eyes meet his as he refuses to meet mine. I know he can read my mind even though I told him not to. He's probably doing it right now.

So, Namjoon, what do you mean your last good deed?

Namjoon softly chuckles, eyes casting down before meeting mine.

"You're not going to let it go even if I don't tell you, right?"

Obviously.

"Fine," His expression turns back to somewhat serious. "I have to come clean about something."

About what?

"I lied to you before," Namjoon says. "About not ever thinking about becoming human."

Out of all the things I thought he would say, that was not one of them.

"Really?" I actually speak this time. Namjoon hums in response.

"I have thought about it before but very briefly. Just to see what it would feel like. I never had a proper reason to, so I never thought about it again."

"What made you think of it now?" I wonder, although I think I'm starting to understand the answer.

"I think you're starting to understand too," The corner of his lip raises.

I don't say it outloud or in my head. Because it sounds almost selfish to say.

"You can say it," He says in encouragement.

"You thought of it now because of...me?"

"That would be correct," He breaths out a breath, eyes on the horizon. "Because of you, Park Narae."

But it doesn't make sense. If Namjoon becomes human he'll forgot about everything and everyone he knew. Including me.

Namjoon pauses, a frown on his face as he looks down. Now it's my turn to read his mind. I know exactly what he's thinking.

"Wanna make a bet?" I see his sense of humour hasn't disspeared.

Groaning, I shove his shoulder as he chuckles. Taking his warm hand in mine, I fiddle with his fingers as I think of another thought.

"If you became human, then you wouldn't be the moon anymore. So who would?"

"That I have no idea of." Namjoon shrugs. "Whoever's worthy, I suppose."

"I thought you'd be able to choose? Like passing the torch onto someone else," I wonder.

"Passing the torch...is that another human term I don't know of?" Namjoon sits in confusion.

Sighing, a small smile appears on my mouth, and I nod. Is he sure he's up for becoming human?

"Of course," He scoffs, slightly offended. "But no, we don't choose. I've never understood that either, but that's just always how it's been."

I'm about to speak again, but it seems as if he beats me to it.

"But there's something I should also tell you," He voice becomes quieter, more hesitant. "Moons can't become human."

What?

"But...I thought you turn into one when you aren't the moon anymore, like with the stars?"

"That's the stars, Narae," He replies. "The moons work differently. We turn into stars, and that's it. We can't become human like the others."

"But..." My voice whispers. As I stare at him, I feel my heart break a little.

"I know," His eyes met mine, and smiles a sympathetic one. "I'll never be able to properly be with you."

"Would you?" I mumble. "Want to?"

"Of course I would," Namjoon squeezes my hand, head tilted as his voice lowers.

"Me too," I force a smile.

As I let my head rest on his shoulder, I let a tear escape. It's not like he can see my face to notice.

Yes, he'll still be here. But he can't constantly be here. I can't properly be with Namjoon if he isn't. I'll forever be waiting for someone I can't have.

"I was destined to be in the stars," His smooth voice fills my ears."I have a duty to do, Narae. I can't be here all the time, no matter how much I want to."

"Meaning one day you'll have to leave," Nodding, I close my eyes. More tears spill out, and I cover my eyes with my hand.

"Please don't cry over me," He lifts my head up so he can look straight into my eyes, wiping my cheeks with his thumbs as he holds my face.

"You saw how unhappy I was that day when I was drunk here," I sniffle. "You saw what that relationship did to me. And now you're here...I'm finally happy."

Namjoon's face softens.

"I never knew I could be this happy until I met you," I stifle a laugh.

"Me neither," He murmers.

Then his lips lay on mine, a soft touch to his lips. An innocent kiss, one we both needed.

When we break away, he lays his forehead on mine, still holding onto my face as my hands grip his wrists.

"I'm holding you back," He then says. "From finding something, someone real. A moon like me could never be with a human like you."

I nod again, refusing to open my eyes. As another tear rolls down my cheek, I feel a sudden coldness around my face. A breeze that's slightly stronger than before around my body.

When my eyes open back up, I'm staring at nothing. Namjoon is gone.

Well, not properly gone. I know exactly where he is. All I have to do is look up.

But I don't want to. Because if I do, I'll realise just how far away he is from me, and far he'll always be from me.

Taking in a breath, my eyes cast towards the moon. He's beautiful up there, glowing in the darkness with his stars around him.

A small cry leaves my lips as I smile upwards. My teeth clench together, and I stand to my feet.

"I understand, Namjoon," I let a laugh out to stop me from crying.

"And I love you," It's like a weight's been lifted off my chest. "I needed you to know that."

Turning my back, I hop off the roof and inside my house. Making my way to my room, I stand at the window as I'm about to close the curtains.

I take one look at him, at the moon. My smile returns, knowing that he's probably smiling too. Whether it's a painful one or not.

And then, I pull them closed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two more chapters left! The next one is in Namjoon's POV :)