Metulji

Sun streamed through the windows, gently welcoming in the new morning by raising itself over the horizon and leaving a buttery glow throughout the area. The yellow haze had passed through the curtains and landed elegantly onto the wall, tinging it a pretty shade of buttercup.

Although it was early, I could hear the mellow hum of cars passing through nearby roads, and the low cooing of pigeons just outside the balcony. Stretching, I began to breathe in the fresh air flowing through the window, which was just slightly open, yet allowed so much ventilation. It cooled my face slightly as I stretched, my body attempting to adjust to being awake.

Jan was still asleep; passed out completely beside me. His hair had fallen over his face, a few flyaways being blown into his eyes by a light breeze. Yet, he was so deep in slumber that he didn't even notice - his mouth was hung open in a state of total rest. I watched him for a few seconds, the way his chest rose and fell beneath the thin bedsheet, and then began to question if that was strange.

I dismissed the thought and lay back down, just smiling at him.

Although he wasn't awake, he still managed to bring me so much joy, just with his presence. It was hard to stay away; one of his hands was conveniently splayed out across what had become his side of the bed, so ready for me to wrap myself into. Yet I was able to resist, not wanting to disturb him at all.

In that moment, clearer than ever, were three words in my mind. They had been present since we had reunited four weeks ago, and then had burned closer to my vision, until they remained a permanent mark in my peripheral. It was a feeling I had never experienced in a previous relationship - this was what it felt like to love someone. To want everything and more for them, and with them. Whatever that meant. Even if that was something as simple as making them a cup of tea when they woke up in the morning, or something as meaningful as telling them that they're appreciated when they doubt themselves.

'Good morning, lokvanj.' Jan greeted me, snapping me back into reality.

'Morning.' I grinned, waiting for him to attempt to move so that I could barrel my body into him, packing myself close like a present. Since he already knew what was coming, after having had to put up with this for the last few weeks, he just outstretched his arms and let me embrace him.

'You've been in the city for what, two weeks now? And I still haven't had the chance to show you much of it.' he realised after a few minutes, suddenly regretting the fact that we hadn't been out on too many occasions.

However much I didn't mind it, it was true - we had scarcely left the apartment, just spending time with each other and building up our mutual trust again. Before I had time to consider the matter too much, he spoke again, the vibrations of his chest reverberating through my head.

'I think it would be nice for us to go out today. I know somewhere you'd like.'

'Where?' I asked sleepily, beginning to doze off again in the comfort that I was safe with him. In response to this, he just laughed.

'You'll have to see when we get there.'

'I hate surprises.' I groaned, burying my face into the covers in annoyance. Jan laughed at me, again.

'Oh, I know. But you'll like this one.'

'I wouldn't be so sure.' I teased, despite knowing that I would love whatever Jan had in mind - we were able to read each other like a book; we knew what we liked so well that it would be hard for either of us to make a mistake. 'Overconfident, much.'

'Me? Overconfident?' Jan questioned sarcastically.

'Never.' I replied, managing to achieve the same tone of voice. I turned around to him, now looking him directly in the eyes, waiting for him to crack.