Inside Your Heart Lies the Truth

"Hey, son," Jake Sully speaks up suddenly. Lo'ak knows by the gentle tone of his voice that he's not the one being spoken to, so he does not react.

"Me?" Neteyam asks gently, glancing to Lo'ak. 

Jake nods. "Yeah. You're of age now, you know. You can choose a mate. Is there anyone who interests you, boy?"

Neteyam freezes for just a split second — Lo'ak is sure the only reason their father doesn't notice is because he's busy chopping food for their next meal.  

Neteyam is not wearing the necklaces Ao'nung made him, but he does have a small piece of the crimson shells braided into his hair, made a bead. Lo'ak wonders what he's ever so perfect big brother is going to do now.

"I will think about it," Neteyam says after a moment.

Lo'ak frowns. He expected Neteyam to lie, to deny. Instead, he says something safe. 

Jake Sully nods in approval.

"Just try to be a little more tasteful with her than I was with your mother," he laughs, remembering the days of his youth, how rushed they had been. He hadn't even courted her properly. 

Neteyam's ears twitch and he's smiling softly, but his eyes are sad, getting duller by the second. "I will. I'll do the proper courting rituals."

Lo'ak knows he's thinking about Ao'nung. He decides to throw himself under the bus. "Dad, did you— what if–"

Jake turns to Lo'ak, looking surprises, like he never even noticed he was there. "What is it, son?"

"Did you know," Lo'ak begins before he can change his mind. "Tsireya told me it's okay for Metcayina men to be mated to each other. Women too."

Jake Sully doesn't react much — but Neteyam stares at his brother with wide, terrified eyes. He hides it quickly and takes over chopping the fruits. 

Jake hums in thought before fully facing his youngest son. "Are you trying to tell me something, boy?" 

Lo'ak swallows and shakes his head quickly. "No, I just thought it's interesting. The Metcayina are more traditional than—"

"Okay, son." 

Lo'ak blinks in surprise as Jake turns away from him and he has to blink to stop the tears because his father goes back to talking to Neteyam as if Lo'ak had never even spoken at all. His vision blurs and his throat feels tight. 

He purses his lips and hangs his head. Neteyam glances his way and frowns when he notices his little brother's heart broken look. Neteyam is perhaps the most aware of their siblings how much Lo'ak longs for Jake to recognise him. He can't risk continuing this conversation though, so he just prays that Lo'ak will be okay.

Lo'ak regains composure quickly, he's used to this. 

Lo'ak is sitting outside, watching the sunset when Neteyam comes to sit next to him. His beads clink together with the movement and Lo'ak is familiar with the sound, he likes it even. Especially since he almost lost his brother.

"Baby bro," Neteyam begins gently, placing a hand on Lo'ak's shoulder. "Are you okay?"

Lo'ak thinks about telling him, but he ends up building his walls higher. "I'm fine. My head hurts from all the weaving. It's too confusing."

Neteyam chuckles, patting his back. He pulls away and absent-mindendly traces the scar on his chest. "I'm sure you'll figure it out. Those techniques take a lot of patience."

"Well, you're the patient one," Lo'ak replies swiftly, smirking. "My job is to test that patience."

Neteyam laughs softly and shakes his head. The way he's sitting, Lo'ak can see the crimson bead in his hair. Neteyam is about to speak, but he pauses, confused, eyeing his younger brother.