Herbs

What Lo'ak did with Tsireya is unusual. Na'vi do not mate before bonding. At least, it is not often talked about. 

Lo'ak knows he will definitely not be the one to break this cycle. Not when he does it again and again. 

Of course — it's Tsireya who drags him away. 

And then, one day, he pulls away, sweaty and blushing deep indigo, tangled in the blanket in his haze, coming down from his raging height.

Tsireya smiles sweetly at him, tugging her loincloth back into place. 

"Tsireya," Lo'ak sighs out gently, taking her hand. 

She giggles, lying down (more like flopping down, less than gracefully). "What is it, Lo'ak?"

"How— how do keep this a secret from your mother?" He dares to ask.

Tsireya hums. "I collect my own herbs. Mother has taught me already so I can help the women. But you know, there is something you could take instead."

"Me?" Lo'ak points to himself, tugging the blanket over his hips. His loincloth disappeared somewhere between the many bushes. 

Tsireya nods happily. "There are no bad side effects for me nor for you if you did. I think I might be more responsible for this though."

"Hey," Lo'ak protests weakly with a shy laugh. 

Tsireya smirks coyly, reaching over to play with one of his braids, fiddling with the beads adorning the dark locks. "You did not even think about it after the first time." 

Lo'ak flushes, averting his gaze. "That— okay. You're right. You're definitely right." 

Tsireya's hand drifts to caress his cheek. She smiles lovingly. "One day, I hope we may have a child together, Lo'ak. And that this child will have your hands."

"My hands?" His eyes widen, lump forming in his throat. 

Tsireya nods. She knows this hurts him, but she wants him to know he's beautiful. (Lo'ak is hurt by any mention of his hands, it doesn't matter if it is done in kindness or hate.)

She takes his hands in her own, wrapping delicate fingers around his pinkies. "They are beautiful. They are so uniquely you, Lo'ak. I could never ask for anyone better than you. Eywa has brought you here, to me. I thank her for this gift every day." 

Lo'ak's face scrunches up and he feels stupid for not wearing his stupid loincloth (but he still doesn't know where it is). Tsireya guides his head onto her shoulder, letting him cry quietly, playing with his hair like her mother used to play with hears when she had been upset by Ao'nung's shenanigans. 

Lo'ak keeps out of trouble. 

Therefore, he keeps away from Jake Sully's fury too. Things are calm, too calm. 

Lo'ak explores the island, bolting around the trees, swinging through the vines swiftly. He's just playing around, enjoying himself. 

Neteyam watches him from the floor, collecting some plants that could be spices or even medicines. Lo'ak doesn't remember if Neteyam was ever interested in  plants. He drops down next to his brother, peeking into his pouch. 

Neteyam swats him away, nose twitching. "What are you doing?" 

"Looking." 

"For what?" Neteyam deadpans, eyes widening. He puts a protective hand over his pouch. 

Lo'ak pouts, blinking up at his brother innocently. 

Neteyam groans. "Ugh, fine. Here." 

He hands Lo'ak the pouch, turning away to look for more. Neteyam steps over some flowers carefully, tugging Lo'ak away, who barely manages avoiding stamping all over them. 

"What are these for?" Lo'ak pokes him in the back, showing a purple herb. 

"It makes food sweeter," Neteyam replies swiftly, locating more of the plant, picking the best looking leaves swiftly.  

Lo'ak tilts his head. "So how far have you gone with Ao'nung yet?"

Neteyam does not react, but Lo'ak can clearly see the blush dusting his cheeks. He hands his older brother his pouch back so he can put his leaves away. 

"So?" Lo'ak asks curiously, peaking at his brother. 

Neteyam swallows, looking down at his feet. He shuffles them awkwardly, toes digging into the dirt. 

Lo'ak tilts his head. 

"Not far," Neteyam murmurs tenderly, placing a hand on his own stomach, trying to will away the nervous cramps. 

Lo'ak beams happily. "That's cute."

Neteyam relaxes, smiling shyly at his brother before nudging him. "We should head back. We have lessons soon." 

"I forgot," Lo'ak sighs out. "But why do we have to learn this stuff?"

"Because once we are adult, the people will expect us to be mated." Neteyam runs a hand over his braids, adjusting them so they fell down his back. 

Lo'ak nods, deep in thought. He follows after his brother, a light, playful bounce in his steps. "Do you want to?"

"Mate?" Neteyam finishes for him with a kind smile. "Why do you mention this now, brother?"

Lo'ak shrugs. "Well, I tell you things all the time but you never tell me anything." 

Neteyam huffs out a small laugh. "There's not much to tell." 

"Right." Lo'ak rolls his eyes. "That's why it took you four years to tell me that you like Ao'nung." 

"It hasn't been four year—" 

"He cried when you were shot." 

Neteyam blinks in surprise before his gaze softens considerably. "I didn't know that. What was that like?"

"Gross." Lo'ak shudders. "Very gross. He looks like a blowfish when he cries. He definitely gets really poofy in the face."

Neteyam shakes his head, chuckling under his breath softly. "Very funny, baby bro."

Lo'ak calms down. "It was weird. I didn't get why he was so upset and he kept clutching at his chest like he felt it too."

Neteyam gazes at his little brother silently before looking down at his feet again. They have stopped walking, hidden by large leaves and rocks, but close to their marui. 

"I see." 

"You're not telling me something."

Neteyam's lip tug up in a sad smile. "No. I'm not. When did you get so observant?"

Lo'ak juts out his lower lip for a second before crossing his arms. "I have always been observant. I just didn't feel like letting people know." 

Neteyam sighs softly and steps up to his brother, wrapping his arms around Lo'ak's shoulders, tugging his little brother against his strong chest. Lo'ak nuzzles his cheek against Neteyam's shoulder, grinning happily. His arms come to wrap tightly around Neteyam's waist, holding on like a lifeline. 

"I missed you."

"I've always been here, baby bro. I'll always be here."