Maybe I'm an Alien

Lo'ak sneaks out at the same time as Neteyam — however, he's not following his brother right now, so he isn't even trying to remain unseen by him.

Neteyam is only a few steps from their marui when he hears Lo'ak; he turns back, wide eyed.

Lo'ak grins, waving to him.

Neteyam hurries back to him and tugs him to the forest, a hand over his mouth. He corners his little brother against a tree, frowning. "What are you doing?!"

Lo'ak rolls his eyes, swiftly pinching his nipples to free himself. "Leave me alone, bro. I can sneak out, too."

Neteyam stumbles back, rubbing the sore spots in offence. He purses his lips and takes a deep breath to calm himself. "Why are you sneaking out?"

Lo'ak shrugs casually. "Nothing you need to know. Go see your lover boy, or whoever you're trying to catch alone–"

"Lo'ak–" Neteyam hisses, grasping his arm. "Please, stop. I don't like it when you talk like that."

Lo'ak blinks on surprise before a delighted smile appears on his face. He's so glad his brother has started setting boundaries. Neteyam is utterly confused by his brother's joy.

"Lo'ak?" He asks carefully. "What's so funny?"

"I like this side of you." Lo'ak nudges his brother. "Now. Let me go on my date and I'll let you go on yours."

Neteyam rolls his eyes and turns to walk away. He trusts that Lo'ak won't follow him. 

Lo'ak doesn't. He scurries out of the forest because he is not meaning Tsireya in the woods. Tsireya is already waiting by the shore, staring out into the wast ocean, humming a song gently to herself, swaying side to side. 

Lo'ak sneaks up behind her and wraps his arms around her tiny little waist, lifting her and spinning her. "Hello, ocean princess."

Tsireya giggles, grasping his arms to keep her balance and kicking her legs. "Loak!"

He grins, heart giddy with love. He sets her down carefully and smiles down at her, counting her glowing stops under the moonlight. 

The village is silent. It is dark, only a few torches are burning. Lo'ak spots a warrior standing guard, but she only glances their way and shakes her head with a smile. It's not a crime to come out at night.

Tsireya steps closer to him and he flushes, biting his lower lip. She leans up and brushes the very corner of his lips with her own. 

Lo'ak's mind goes blank. 

Tsireya notices his shock and giggles behind her hand. Lo'ak takes a shaky breath and he's absolutely speechless, gaping like a fish out of water, waiting to be skinned and cooked. 

"Are you okay?" Tsireya asks softly, hand trailing down his arm and grasping his wrist gently. 

Lo'ak swallows thickly and nods. He covers his face with his free hand, ears flat and tail swishing wildly. "Yeah. I'm okay."

He sounds wrecked, breathless. Tsireya's eyes squint as she laughs quietly, patting his shoulder lightly. "Your heartbeat is very fast."

Lo'ak blinks, mind clearing. "Wait! You said that because you knew—"

Tsireya grins (it looks a lot like Ao'nung's silly grins) and nods. "I did. After a few days of thinking about it."

Lo'ak runs a hand over his face and tries to will away his mortification. 

"It's cute!" Tsireya insists. "You've liked me for a long time, haven't you?"

"Was it so obvious?" Lo'ak asks weakly, voice frail, like his pride.