Family

Lo'ak swallows, a nervous mess.

As they near their marui, they run into Rotxo, who immediately glues himself to their side, sticking mostly to Kiri.

"Should we stay with you?" Tsireya asks, fingers laced with Lo'ak's, her other hand holding onto his pinky.

Lo'ak shakes his head. "No. You could stay with Tuk, though. I don't want her to know."

She nods in understanding and steps up to the marui pod. She knocks lightly by the entrance wall and smiles; Neytiri, Jake, and Tuk are inside. The youngest Sully seems to be working on a new loincloth — her parents, tense, are not fighting in her presence.

Neytiri perks up at the sight of the young Metcayina and smiles back, setting her knife down. She had been polishing the blade. "Tsireya, I see you."

Tsireya motions with her hand. "Neytiri, Jakesuli, I see you—"

"Tsireya!" Tuk says eith glee, jumping to her feet and running to hug her. She bats her lashes, barely concealed excitement lighting up her face. "Have you come for me?"

The young Tsakarem nods (she doesn't miss Neytiri's greatful exhale). "Yes, I have. Would you like to come collect new shells with me? If that is alright with your parents, of course."

She turns to Jake at her question, not at all letting it show that she knows what is going on, but she knows he knows she knows. She can see it in the way he looks at her. Not hostile, but slightly worried. He knows she's just here to spare Tuk and keep her safe.

So, he cracks a weary smile. "Of course, Tuktuk is free to go with you."

The youngest girl beams, arms still wrapped around Tsireya's middle. "Yay! Thank you, daddy!"

And then, they are off. As they pass the other's, Tsireya presses a kiss to Lo'ak's cheek. Lo'ak returns the gesture and takes a few deep breaths to calm himself while his siblings and friends talk quietly among themselves next to him.

Ao'nung is focused on Neteyam, jaw tense. "Are you sure he doesn't hurt you? I would fight him—"

"You would fight anything that moves," Kiri comments dryly.

Ao'nung makes an offended sound and rolls his eyes. "I would not."

"You definitely would," she mumbles, trying to keep herself calm with humour. "Don't think I didn't see you get scared by a leaf ruffled by the wind a few nights ago."

Neteyam glances between them silently.

"You saw that?!" Ao'nung yelps, mortified. "Were you spying on me?"

"Was not!" Kiri retorts and rolls her eyes so hard, her irises vanish for a moment. "You arrived after me. I was stargazing."

"Wonderful," Ao'nung grumbles, voice dripping with sarcasm.

"You do get scared by random things," Rotxo comments absent-mindendly, not entirely understanding what was going on between Lo'ak and his father.

Neteyam agrees easily.

"Is it bully Ao'nung day?!" The Metcayina whines, entirely uncharacteristic.

"If I remember correctly, " Kiri deadpans. "There were a lot of bully Kiri days. Think of it as payback. At least I'm not leaving you beyond the reef."

"Stop reminding me—"

Lo'ak sighs softly, immediately bringing attention to himself.

"You alright, baby bro?" Neteyam is by his side in an instant, a hand resting on Lo'ak's shoulder.