Preparations

"Why are you glaring at me?" Lo'ak huffs, knife working skillfully as he chops up a rather large fish.

"I don't like you," Ao'nung deadpans.

Lo'ak snorts. "Can't imagine why."

Ao'nung rolls his eyes and flicks a fishscale at Lo'ak's face. "You put us in a huge mess, that's why."

"I didn't force you to go and mate with my brother in secret." Lo'ak launches a handful of scales at Ao'nung, making the heir yelp and shuffle away.

They're sitting by the shore, preparing dinner for their families.

"You are aware that is not what I mean—" Ao'nung protests. "That's the least of our worries!"

"Is it?" Lo'ak raises a brow. "I'm not mated before iknimaya, am I?"

Ao'nung flushes. "I— we didn't mate— it's just the bond..."

"I know that," the Omaticaya grins smugly. "You think my brother doesn't tell me these things?"

Ao'nung pauses, one hand hovering over the fish he'd been skinning. "He told you about that?"

Lo'ak pauses (because no. Neteyam did not tell him that one particular thing. Lo'ak had just been snooping, because he's still the annoying little brother). He nods, nerves suddenly eating away at his stomach. "Sure. He told me that he won't sleep with you."

Ao'nung frowns. "You make it sound like he's disgusted to."

Lo'ak tilts his head, setting his knife down on a large, fresh leaf. "I didn't say that. I just know that he's not really interested. It's not that hard to figure out. Not everyone cares about that sort of thing."

In truth, Lo'ak doesn't know why he isn't backing out of this conversation. He might end up giving himself away.

Ao'nung sighs through his nose and shakes some stray scales from his hands. He stretches his fingers and shakes his hands about, fingers cramping from working hard. "I guess so."

Lo'ak's skin erupts in goosebumps. "Are you nervous?"

"About this sudden meeting between our families?" Ao'nung asks, swallowing thickly. "I feel like I might explode."

"Do you think they found out?" Lo'ak shudders. "That would be worse than us telling them."

"I should have done iknimaya when my father first suggested it," Ao'nung moans, rubbing at his face, before reeling back at the string scent of raw fish.

Lo'ak cannot find it in himself to laugh. "I mean. Neteyam is technically an adult. Do you think he needs to also complete iknimaya here?"

Ao'nung shrugs, lips curled downwards. "If he doesn't, then it would make him look bad to have mated with me despite being an adult."

"You're the same age," Lo'ak offers quietly.

Ao'nung nods, solemn. "What if the meeting is just about our parents wanting to have time together and we're just getting dragged into it."

Lo'ak shrugs, clearing his throat. His mouth suddenly feels very dry, as though all the water in the world has run out.
"I've never been so confused."

"Me either." Ao'nung pokes at the fish in front of him, already beheaded and mostly scaleless. "Everything is so confusing these days."

"My brother, too?"

"Except your brother." Ao'nung rubs the back of his neck, trying to massage away the tension giving him a headache. "He's been really good at communicating his feelings lately."