Eywa's Will

"Where are mom and dad?" Kiri bursts into the marui, startling Lo'ak and Neteyam. The younger drops a plate of fruit.

"They're out with Tuk to teach her how to hunt," Neteyam replies, a hand over his chest, visibly spooked by Kiri's loudness. "Why? Is something wrong?"

Kiri shakes her head hurriedly and draws the curtain by the entrance. "I've figured it out."

"Figured what out?" Lo'ak asks as they settle down, sitting facing one another.

Kiri claps her hands excitedly. "I was with Rotxo and Tsireya, trying to connect to the spirit tree. I chickened out last second, but I felt Eywa's presence."

"Okay," Neteyam says as they both nod along to their sister's words.

Kiri beams, tucking a wet strand of hair behind her ear. "I felt as though you and Tsireya aren't ready to be mated just yet."

Lo'ak frowns. "No? Why?"

Kiri's smile fades a little and she clears her throat. "It might sound cruel, but I think I understand what she's trying to tell me this time."

"Alright, tell us," Neteyam hums, lips twitching up. He reaches over and pats Kiri's knee. "It cannot be that bad."

Kiri nods, pursing her lips. "I feel it in my core that Lo'ak and Tsireya should be first bonded before the people."

Lo'ak perks up, tail twitching.

"It would symbolise the unity between our clans," she continues talking, glancing between her brothers. "That we may be different, buy we are all still Eywa's children."

Neteyam nods, chewing on his lower lip deep in thought. "That makes sense. But what about the baby?"

Lo'ak gulps audibly, while Kiri swallows, suddenly looking sheepish. "I think the baby might be the final test to see dad is truly willing to change."

"And iknimaya?" Lo'ak asks instead, completely ignoring the statement. "Are we supposed to do that now or once the baby is here?"

Kiri heaves a sigh and rubs her forehead. "I don't know. I didn't see anything about that."

"What tasks does Tsireya still have to do?" Neteyam tilts his head, beads clinking gently with the notion. "Does she have to tame a Tsurak?"

Kiri hums, squinting at the ceiling. "That's a warriors mount. Many Metcayina remain riding Ilu until old age."

"Oh," Neteyam laughs softly, cheeks tinting. "Funny that I didn't know that."

Lo'ak snorts. "Well. If Ao'nung would teach you something other than how to kiss, you'd have known."

"Touché," Neteyam grumbles, rolling his eyes.

"Tsireya probably only has to spend three days with her spirit sister beyond the reef, then." Kiri stretches her legs out in front of herself, resting a foot on Neteyam's thigh. "She wouldn't be fighting akula, so it should not be too dangerous."

Lo'ak clicks his tongue and sighs loudly. "I don't want her to be out by herself for that long."

"Don't you trust her?" Kiri questions.

"I do. It's the ocean that I don't trust," Lo'ak deadpans, shaking his head in mild annoyance.

"Okay," Neteyam cuts in before they could get into an argument. "Then, we should probably talk to Olo'eyktan and make it known that we intend to complete iknimaya soon."

Kiri pouts, crossing her arms. "I don't have a bond with a tulkun yet."

Lo'ak groans. "Big deal. You'll just ask one to be your friend. Easy."