When the Veil Falls Away

"Are you worried?" Tsireya asks as she sits beside him on a rock surrounded by the ocean, not that far from shore, but still out of sight.

He shakes his head, biting his lower lip. His eyes follow a bird as it flies by carelessly, one with the wind. "No, I'm good. I trust Payakan."

She hums in agreement, gentle hand slipping down along his arm until she reaches his hand, lacing their fingers. He squeezes her hand lightly in answer.
"You will be fine."

"I'm not worried." Lo'ak clears his throat and puffs up his chest.

Tsireya smiles knowingly. "You are worried."

He blushes and gives in. "Yeah. Okay. Maybe a little."

Tsireya giggles behind her hand, shaking her head fondly. "It is okay to feel scared sometimes, Lo'ak. It makes us who we are and helps ground us."

"Aren't you worried?" Lo'ak asks, brows furrowing. He cups her cheeks in both hands and peers into her big blue eyes. "I don't really feel grounded."

She stutters before averting her gaze. "I am not worried. I trust my spirit sister to keep us safe and out of harm's way. She knows our secret."

Lo'ak hums, bumping his nose against hers. "Perhaps our parents should know about us before we depart?"

"I thought your mother knew," Tsireya nuzzles against him.

"She does. Shouldn't we officially say it, though?" He hums, lips ghosting along hers.

She smiles, eyes crinkling at the corners like little prints of a bird's steps in the snow. "We could tell them. But perhaps you should work on a gift for me then, to show we are serious."

"Okay." He nods, and somehow he knows what that gift should be.

It feels natural.

Tsireya sits by shore some days later, preparing a basket of goods to take to some of the elderly members of the clan when a shadow falls over her.

"Tik'het," she smiles, lifting her gaze. "It's been so long since I saw you. How are you?"

The greying woman returns her smile, but lines of worry wrinkle her brows. "My Tsakarem, I have come to warn you."

Tsireya stands, pursing her lips. "What is the matter, Tik'het? Are you unwell?"

Tik'het shakes her head, taking one of Tsireya's hands in her own wrinkly ones. "I had a dream, a vision of sorts in which I saw you."

Tsireya swallows nervously. She glances around before leaning closer. "What did you see?"

Tik'het's frown deepens, her softs features darkening. "I saw a difficult future ahead of you and I felt I had to come and warn you of it."

"But Tik'het," Tsireya pleads, holding her hands. "What is it that you saw? Was it a message from Eywa?"

"It could not have been anything else."

Tsireya gulps.

"Forgive me if I speak out of line," Tik'het sighs, worry wrinkling her forehead. "But I saw a very important message and cannot keep it a secret from the one I saw in it."

"It is alright." Tsireya nods. "Go ahead and tell me.

The elder nods along, taking a deep breath. She holds both of Tsireya's hands in her own shaky, aged ones and leans closer to peer into her eyes, almost the exact same shade of pale blue. "There was a child in my vision."

"A child?" She echoes, stomach coiling.

Tik'het inhales deeply. "At first, I thought it a mere dream, as it is so similar to my own life. But this was no child of mine. The eyes were too golden, like glowing orbs or the sacred seeds of our Great Mother. And so I have come to warn you, and I hope I am not too late, but be careful. I believe the Great Mother has showns me your future child."